Cincy Guitar Show 3-17-02

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fretless5, Mar 13, 2002.

1. I hadn't heard anything about it. I might have to go check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
  2. No problem. The shows aren't huge, but there is usually a pretty decent selection of basses. Last year there was a guy from Middletown who was building his own axes. The woods he was using were beautiful, and all the basses had Alembic electronics- they looked and sounded great.

The show is definately worth checking out. Great way to kill a couple of hours on a Sunday.
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've been to it a couple of times. I missed last year, but my drummer usually works there. He gave me the info on the guy from Middleton. I'll probably go again, if I can drag myself out of bed after the gig.
  4. Kinda disappointing. I counted maybe 9 basses in the whole place, including the handmade British one they were asking 13 grand for (I've already forgotten the maker, started with a 'Z'). I dragged my Alembic up there, and it got hardly a glance. Not much for a bassist today. There was a nice Warwick Nobby for about $ 2500, but it looked like someone had carved something right below the bridge with an exacto knife.
  5. It was very disappointing from a bassist 's POV. Yeah, less than a dozen basses when I was there.

I did pick up a Jaco video however that is pretty cool. The sound quality is so-so, but the 2nd half of the video is the Word of Mouth Big Band. Some fantastic playing by all involved. The 1st half is Jaco with a quintet of guys from WoM. It is not nearly the musical quiality of the big band, and Jaco seems to be elsewhere. There are definately times where he seems to be off somewhere else. Kind of sad if it is caused by his illness...

Anyway, I made it thru the weekend without buying another bass that I really don't need- always a good thing.
  6. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    OK, so there weren't that many basses there, but the fact that there was a genuine Tony Zemaitis bass there was worth it! For me, a Zemaitis is the holy grail. The one that was there was actually at the low end - they typically go for $20G - probably because it was a simple, single pickup passive model. The two guitars that accompanied the bass were even more expensive; one going for $35G. At any rate, it was a nice bass to play - the guy let me play it as they started getting ready to pack it up.
    There's a Zemaitis up on Ebay with a starting price of $1000 right now.

Anyway, I think you guys missed out on a great opportunity. My drummer was there - he's a friend of Rick Ruether - and was trying to sell his Peavey Fury bass and a sax. He walked out with a Bourgeouis (sp?) acoustic guitar.
  7. Oh, yeah. I wasn't saying the Zemaitis wasn't beautiful, I'd just never heard of them before. For 13 Grand, I'd be afraid to play the thing, but it would look neat on a wall or something.

Oh, were you around when the guy's cart tire blew out? I jumped about four feet. I thought someone had been shot.

Oh, yeah. The lowlight of the day was discovering that my Alembic has had some fretboard shrinkage. I had one guy semi-interested, until he pointed that out to me. I hadn't taken it out of the case in months, and didn't even realize it. Cincinnati's humidity is not conducive to having nice basses. Now I have to spring for a fix before I can even attempt to sell it in good conscience.