Cingular wireless experience-Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tekhna, Jan 16, 2005.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Kind of a silly question I know, but my T-mobile contract expired, and I would go back to them, but they really don't cover my college well at all. So now I am thinking Sprint or Cingular, but Sprint is just obnoxious and seems harder to deal with. Anyone have any good experiences with Cingular, or bad for that matter too?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My girlfriend uses cingular, she hates her phone, but it's the only service that gives her reception at her school, so she lives with it. They do have some kicking phones though, way better than most of verizons offerings. I've been considering switching to cingular actually, because verizon is kinda weak. But I sure would love a Motorola RAZR v3
  3. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I like the Trigun reference in your thingy. Is it that her phone sucks, or the service sucks? Verizon works here at school in Indiana, but not my part of Minnesota.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    it's just her phone that sucks. She had a really nice one, but it got knocked off a table into a cup of coffee, and the replacement she got is like the cheapest one they make. But cingular offers a ton of really nice phones.

ya, trigun is pretty groovy.
  5. Style

Jan 14, 2005
    Sacramento, Ca
    the school i went to for a couple years also could only get cingular service in its area, so i was forced to switch.

I like their phones, and their service was good in my area, but I only used it there, and since it was the only service that worked, its hard to say if its good in other areas as well.

The customer service is average, its hit or miss, sometimes they're helpful and sometimes they're not.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    With nothing to compare it to, I've been happy with the customer service I get from them. I've used Cingular (or its predecessor) for about 5 years with no problems. I like that I get rollover minutes and they're always courteous on the phone. Rate-wise, it's not gonna be as cheap as T-Mobile, though.

Speaking of reception, my Cingular's reception isn't perfect, but it's typically been better than my wife's AT&T (now part of Cingular) or my friend's Sprint. It's also generally better in rural areas than my friend's T-Mobile. If you don't have problems with T-Mobile, though, I'd stick with what you know.

FWIW, I read a review yesterday in Consumer Reports that rated Verizon the best in most categories.
  7. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I'd love to go with verizon or t-mobile, but t-mobile doesn't work at school, and verizon doesn't work at home.
  8. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Customer service blows and so does the website.

I've never had a problem with any company's phone service.

I'm switching to Next-Tel
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1 I've got Cingular and it blows for coverage in my area. All my friends and family have switched to Nextel and I'm about to myself
  10. Verizon seems to be the best around here. People with the other services often have signal issues at times. (not to say everything's perfect with verizon, but realatively speaking)

They're all evil though, really, and Verizon's no less evil--- it just has better service at times.
  11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've been with Cingular since they were BellSouth Mobility in '98, happy with the customer service for the most part (they're not always perfect, but they do try to make things right), and once I got rid of the POS Sony/Ericsson phone I've had for the past couple years and got a good Motorola phone (V551), my reception has improved tremendously.

For those of you thinking about going to Nextel, keep in mind that Verizon just made a deal to purchase them, and once it passes FCC muster, they will be a part of Verizon. Not good or bad, just information.
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yeah, Verizon Wireless was my 2nd choice... similar coverage as Nextel here.
  13. I use Cingular because of the roll over minutes they have saved me a few times . I pay extra to have my nighttime minutes start early (7pm instead of 9pm)do any other companies offer this ?
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Verizon didn't buy out nextel, Sprint and Nextel merged.

brad cook
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If you care about customer service DO NOT SWITCH to Spint. I've been with them for a while, and the service gets worse and worse all the time.