Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cioks Big John Power Supply review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

So I recently replaced my old SignalFlex power supply with a brand new one from . I paid 85 € for it.
    [​IMG]

It's not a complicated device, all it's supposed to do is to power your pedals and it does it well.
    2 LEDs let you know if the unit is powered and if a shortcut runs rampant somewhere in your pedal rig.

So you plug it to the mains, wire your pedals to it with the dedicated cords, RCA -> anything you may need.
    Cioks provides regular DC plugs, line6 style or mini jacks, regular or inverted positive, an ingenious 9 V battery clip for pedals with no DC plug and even a voltage doubler for 18 V effect (Fulltone here I come).

IHMO, it misses a power switch (to power off all my pedals at once) and an external fuse barrel (it only takes a screwdriver to open it but Murphy's law teaches you that fuses usually go frantic 5 minutes before opening the show when you have no screwdriver at hand).
    The bottom is flat and the profile low so it's very easy to attach it to a pedalboard.

It's completely noiseless and doesn't generate any ground loop or hum.
    I clearly noticed an improvement when A/Bing it against my older power supply (a 10 year old SignalFlex) that I thought did a good job.
    The lower end of my signal (I play bass so it's an essential point for me) got a bit straighter and clearer for some reason.
    No much more to say otherwise, it's not supposed to affect your tone and doesn't at all.

Construction is flawless, the circuit is simple and clean, the transformer is BIG, the box is sturdy and the RCA style plugs are a great idea since they're known for being very durable.
    The whole thing oozes professionalism.
    I haven't used it long enough to testify for its reliability but the unconditional 2 year warranty surely says a lot.
    I also heard compliments about it from long time users.

I contacted Poul Ciok by email before buying and he gave me great advices regarding my needs, nearest distributors and various details. I got answers within the same business day. The guy is incredibly helpful.

The Big John is a great tool if you deal with 2 or more effect units or if like me you're an effect freak looking for a straight, clean power supply for a pedalboard.
    It could hardly get better. The price is more than justified for me and I can see myself using it for a long time.
    Way to go.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks for the review :)

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hi - Any chance of an Update? Are you still happy? Is everything still working good?

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the heads-up on the 9 --> 18 volt adapter... just sent off an email to Cioks to see if they can sell it separately, and if it's possible (maybe with an adapter) to use it with other power supplies like the Pedal Power II and Valvulator that don't use RCA jacks.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's now stuck on my pedalboard.
    No problem so far.
    I use the voltage doubler on my Bass-Drive.

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Any idea if the voltage-doubler can be made to work with other power supplies? I'm specifically wondering if there's adapter somewhere that can change the RCA-tip to the standard plug that the Pedal Power 2 uses... or if anyone else makes a similar voltage doubler that doesn't have RCA.