1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cioks Ciokolate for MB Compressore owners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matty Koff, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    So with tax and shipping I picked one of these up for $400. Worth it? For my scenario yes.

Why? I own a Markbass Compressore and there is not a single other power supply I can find that offers 12v DC @ 600ma isolated. I could've gotten two voodoo pedalpower systems for that price.

But.. I'm not disappointed at all. I'm out of money for now but..in the long run I feel like I made a sound investment.

I almost want to mount this sucker to the top of my pedalboard because "ooh purdy lights".. but, it will go underneath.. and I just went from having 4 adapters to find outlets for to only needing one, and it freaking safely powers my Compressore, that I was about to give up on because the only powersupply I could find was $370... but, I must admit the Ciokolate seems of top notch quality. Gives me power to spare, and I haven't even used one of the daisy chain flex cables yet.

I have to say, quite impressed. Powers my Mooger Fooger, my Compressore and every other pedal I have. Now i just have to drill some friggin holes in my board

TonyP-, rtav and DirtyDuke like this.
  2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I have one and love it..especially if U need 12vac or 40vdc

Matty Koff likes this.
  3. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Too bad for all those wasted AC outputs.

4. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Not on my board lol....

5. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Eh.. I honestly doubt I'll need AC power sure... so there's 3 outputs im not using. But hey..they're there if I pick up something that needs it. That doesn't cancel out that it has several isolated outputs ranging from 100-600ma a piece.. which this is currently the only power supply on the market (that I can find anyway) offering a 600ma output in DC, regardless of voltage, along with 3 outputs at 400ma. Just couldn't find a better solution. Trust me I looked ;P If I ever round up more cash for more from the Mooger Fooger line, this thing has me covered.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Hmm, that looks tempting, it can power my 9v, 18v, 12v AC (TruTron 3X) and even let me try out 15v (the max stated allowable by the Bearfoot Blueberry). Lotta dough though!

7. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Yeah I really held off on buying this thing for some time due to that price tag. I will say - yesterday while I was trying to plug in all my pedals I wrote their customer support... and I wake up this morning and there's already a response from Poul Cioks. In my book that's pretty awesome and I feel even better about choosing the brand.

8. And the moral of this story is to buy pedals with normal and un-funky power requirements

MR PC, bassomane and Matty Koff like this.
  9. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    This solution ultimately would've saved me some money. But but.. i like my Compressore. It's versatile. I can add warmth to my tone with the gain knob, or keep it pretty close to my uncompressed signal with low gain, high volume, all while adding some umf to my rest strokes. The only thing I didn't like about it was it's insane power requirements. But yeah...not owning the Compressore would have resulted in a much less expensive power brick. That's for sure.

rtav, GMC and eagle67 like this.
  10. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Guys, they are much better priced from electric mojo on reverb.....I am not affiliated with them at all, but they gave me a great deal..... about $100 less than the amount being thrown around.....

Matty Koff likes this.
  11. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    You owe me $100 for not pointing this out before I made my purchase...and posted about my purchase. J/k

DirtyDuke likes this.
  12. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Sorry dude, my nad

Matty Koff likes this.
  13. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have an all MB pedal board (except for my Korg Pitchblack tuner) - Compressore, Distorsore, Mini Dist, SuperBooster, and Flanger/Chorus. I used the MB power supplies with a power strip built into my GORM project board, but swapped out the two metal prong connector on each PS for a short cord, then cut the cords as needed so there is no extra cable flopping around. Works great with all my MB pedals, and I'm too cheap to spend $400 on a really cool power supply.

This is the under cabling:

[​IMG]

The board alongside my Trace Elliot bottom cab (1528)::

[​IMG]

Driven Crane, Dec1975 and Matty Koff like this.
  14. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    That is
    Man that is innovation right there. . That is actually a rather cool idea, and seems to work to a very similar end result. You could even add some electrical tape to ensure nothing is ever unplugged undearneath.. and it's cool that you've got the boxes velcro'd down. Thanks for sharing!

rtav likes this.
  15. rtav

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks - since taking the pic I've re-routed teh cabling so it's less messy and secured all of the power plugs with black zip tie, so they're not going anywhere. I hope. :)

Here's another pic of from the top (easier to see):

[​IMG]

And my homage to MST3K on the back:

[​IMG]

Dec1975, bongomania and Matty Koff like this.
  16. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I need to start getting into some DIY projects, not only to save money, but just for the value of being able to cater to my own specifications. While I worked as a laborer for roofers and laborers when I was younger I for some reason just never have been the builder type. I pondered fashioning my own pedalboard out of lumber, with the end result being the lazy choice. I mean..when you think about it.. things like that could easily be done in the time it takes for someone to ship you a product at ground rates.

I guess another thing it might boil down to is how much value you place on your time and what other things you have that occupies said time. Personally I'm not comfortable splicing power connectors either. But I imagine it's easier than my mind makes it out to be. But all in all.. I think your addition to this thread is a great option for those with the ability and the know how, and quite possibly a template for my next board, though I might just stick w/ the power brick option, w/ the cheaper alternatives to the ciokolate out there.

rtav likes this.
  17. That's great that you are willing to give up one of your testicles! But it's really not necessary!:D

Matty Koff likes this.
  18. Man, you must love MB pedals.

19. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Shhh.. don't let him know that I think I remember that in Florida sometime ago you could get like $60,000 or maybe double that for donating one to science.

gjbassist likes this.
  20. rtav

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Markbass make lots of different great sounding pedals, probably more than any other bass amp manufacturer, that the pedals are very well built and inexpensive (used on Talkbass) and do everything I want had a lot to do with my decision to buy those.

The Compressore sounds awesome. I love the dirt I get out of it by overdriving the tube a bit; the compression is just right and the controls are terrific. ALWAYS ON.
    The Superboost is a great volume boost for around $80 used. It has direct out and two filters that let me dial in some very cool stuff. I can get up to 20db clean boost, which is awesome for bass solos.
    The Chorus/Flanger holds 6 user programmable presets (via USB cord and free Mac/PC software) - 3 for the chorus and 3 for the flanger. If I can't get a good sound out of it it's my own damned fault. ALWAYS ON.
    The mini distortion is a pure dirt pedal with tremendous boost - I use it for some bass solos.
    The Distorsore is a tube dirt pedal that gives me either a great overdrive (mostly clean low signal, overdriven high signal) or if I want a specific dirt or even fuzz. ALMOST ALWAYS ON

All of the pedals are dead silent when bypassed and add no noticeable noise AT ALL when engaged. Quality stuff.

I wouldn't mind having a Riverbero pedal as well; I'm getting a fretless 6 in a few weeks and would love to use it for some solo stuff. I may get one if I can find one at the right price.

I love great sounding, well-built and well-designed stomp pedals - it just so happens that Markbass make a lot of excellent offerings that exceed my needs and are very reasonable. What isn't there to love?

DirtyDuke likes this.