1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD circa 1880 German bow (pernambuco)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bows' started by Jeremy Allen, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Price:
    $550
    Style:
    German
    For sale: circa 1880 German-made pernambuco bow. This was a "shovelhead" but the head has been replaced with a modern German-style head. It's a very well done repair and neither I nor the previous owner had any problems with it.

Very full-sounding bow (like "organ pedals," I've heard it described) and it plays well with gut strings.

Overall length 29.75, length of hair 21.5" and weighs 165 grams.

These often sell for up to $1,800, but with the repair and the fact that I haven't rehaired it in a couple of years I'll sell it for considerably less than that. I paid $750 for it two years ago, and I just need to move it now.
    $550 shipped CONUS

This is a great bow for that price, and it's quite fun to play--especially if you are playing on plain guts.

IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1850.jpeg
    IMG_1851.jpeg
    IMG_1852.jpeg
    IMG_1853.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. I’m the previous owner. Jeremy isn’t joking when he describes the lows this things pulls as “pipe organ.” It’s a hoss. The bow was purchased from the estate of a deceased luthier, if that’s of interest.

groooooove and Jeremy Allen like this.
  3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are you saying I should get this for my gut experiment??

Jeremy Allen likes this.
  4. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Go for it! Louis, we've done some business in the past; I'm happy to send this out to you for a trial. You wanna buy it, I'll throw in a Gamut Pistoy wound A (with about two months of light use on it). I'm not crazy, I just really need to get this basement cleared out before we start remodeling.

5. For sound, absolutely. I imagine it would add body to a smaller instrument. I found it a bit big in the hand but worked around it because it just CRANKED.

6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    interesting that it specifically worked well on guts.

I wonder how it behaves with spirocores?

cool bow! Wish i was in the market/had the extra money right now.

7. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Works well with Spiros too--it's a nice weighty stick. Not something I would recommend for agile solo work, but it's fun to let gravity do the work.

8. Back in the day bass bows tended to be massive to draw as much sound as possible. Nobody cared about agility because the rep didn’t demand it.

The stick worked well with every string I went through while I had it for several years at the tail and of my out of control string whore phase.

Jeremy Allen likes this.
  9. PM sent.

10. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Thank you--replied

11. Korexus

Korexus

Jul 1, 2014
    Is the bow still for sale?

12. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Out on trial at the moment. I'll let you know! Thanks.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021