1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Circa 1880 German pernambuco bow

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bows' started by KUNGfuSHERIFF, Nov 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Price:
    Style:
    German
    For sale: one vintage, circa 1880 German-made pernambuco bow. I've heard these sticks referred to as "shovelheads" due to the odd-to-modern-eyes shape of the head. This stick's head has been replaced with a modern German-style head. It's a beautiful, artfully-done repair that features a gentle splice running from the head approximately four inches up the stick. I've owned this bow for several years and the repair remains rock-solid.

Since purchasing the bow, I've discussed it on several occasions with QBC, who appreciate these type of bow. The last one they had sold for $1800, but I'm discounting this one heavily due to the stick repair.

This sucker sounds like a pipe organ. Full, deep and loud projection and it plays well with gut, which could make it an excellent choice for period music. The bow is also surprisingly nimble in the hand given its' large size and relatively hefty weight.

Overall length 29.75, length of hair 21.5" and weighs 165 grams on my scale. It was rehaired in black by Bill Merchant in 2016 and played perhaps 10 times IMG_1488.JPG by me since that date.

Asking $750 plus shipping and insurance. Payment via PayPal or postal money order, please, and a one week trial will be fine with me.

2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Still available?

3. Yes sir.

4. Out on trial.

5. SOLD!