1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

circa 1980 Hondo II Professional (Japan) with stock Dimarzio PAF's

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jakelly, Nov 3, 2013.

1. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    New information. I'm going to set the bass up and install a new set of Ernie Ball nickel Hybrid Slinkys.

This Hondo II Professional was made in Japan circa 1980 and came stock from the factory with dual Dimarzio PAF pups. I don't know if it was made by Matsumoku or Tokai or what. Maybe someone here could tell for sure. When I found it it was grimy and dusty, as if it had never been cleaned, but it cleaned up nicely. It has all the original hardware and parts EXCEPT for the control cover plate on the back of the bass and the six screws that hold it (it was made from a homemade pattern and fits well & all the screw holes line up, and painted black with Krylon Fusion for plastics). When I acquired the bass the control plate was missing, so the only option was to make one, or wait for one to show on ebay.

As you can see, the hardware is in nice condition. The nut works well, and is probably original, but is not quite as wide as the fretboard. If I were going to keep the bass I'd make a new nut out of bone for a touch of class. The frets are in good shape. The truss rod functions perfectly. The playability could benefit from a shim at the end of the neck pocket to improve the neck angle, but I haven't taken the neck off to add one. The neck is made of five pieces of maple (if you include the narrow strips between the three main pieces. The body is not plywood but looks to be made of two pieces of mahogany, stacked one on top of the other to build up the thickness of the body. Scale length is 32.5 inches. Its a heavyweight bass, approximately 10.5 pounds.

The finish has lots of character from dings and scratches, a bit of buckle rash, etc., but the bass looks really nice IMO, being naturally reliced. When I found the bass, I could tell it was one of those that had not had a lot of screws turned on it. I may have been the first to adjust the truss rod since it was new. But before I adjusted it, I loosened the nut all the way and put a dab of grease on the nut threads and it turns nicely. The solder joints are not 100% factory, looks like its had a couple of solder joints re-done, but everything works. The pickup leads were left long instead of being trimmed to length, and just stuffed in there.

I will add a shim to the neck pocket if you want me to. The bass has not been set up. It still has old strings on it. The only things I have done to it are to clean the pots and switch with DeOxit, clean the outside of the bass, cleaned the bridge and lightly lubed the saddle screws, adjusted the truss rod and made the cover plate. Sorry, no case.

I'd like to get $350 shipped to the 48 states. No overseas or out of country shipping please.

x1.

DSC03851.

x2.

x3.

x4.

x5.

x6.

x7.

x8.

x9.

x99.

2. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Gotta love a double P!

3. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    Thank you! to the top

4. zenberger

zenberger

Apr 7, 2005
    augusta, ga
    is that a short scale, or are my eyes really that foggy?

5. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    32.5 inch scale. I suppose that's considered a medium scale.

6. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    ^^^^^^^^

7. MusicDirector

MusicDirector

Jun 17, 2016
    Is this still available?