1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Circle K .254 set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Alex Xander, May 16, 2011.

1. I ordered a .254 set of Circle K's on the weekend to go on this http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/7-string-fretless-super-hollowbody-alex-418577/index7.html
    It's got piezo's and a Bart in the extreme neck position so I'm looking forward to some awesome low, low B tuning! I'm in Australia, so I guess I wont have them for a while, but was wondering if anyone else here has run the monster .254, and if so, what can I expect? I have a Warwick .175 F# and a SIT .165 on two other basses. The SIT is underwhelming in every sense of the word (it actually makes a better B string...), the Warwick better, so I'm hoping that with proper tension in the Circle K's I can look forward to something much better. (And yes, I have speaker that will handle 30hz at volume)
    I also got an .092 8 string set for piccolo tuning which should also be good I hope.
    Anyone got some info to keep me excited while I wait for the postman?
    I'll happily post some clips once they're all here and set up.
    Cheers
    Al

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I don't have anything larger than a .200 on my bass right now, which makes a good F# string. I'm not the biggest fan of the tone I get with it, but I really have a hunch that it's entirely due to the pickups, as every other of the 23 Circle K strings on my basses sound amazing.

Skip uses his Circle K strings on his own basses, and I believe there is a recording of his .232 used as a low B-string on one of his Quake basses (with a 39" scale).

Also, keep in mind that your low low B will be around 16 Hz, not 30.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    OMG! that bass is mind bending!

4. Yes, the fundamental will be, but you really only need to produce the second harmonic, which will be around 32hz. This topic has been flogged to death on the amps forum, also my own testing with an RTA confirms this :). Despite the likes of Jauqo saying his cabs produce 17hz, they quite simply would have to defy physics to do to.
    I get a great F# on cabs that don't go any lower than 40hz:bassist:

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have been using a low C# string for years as a matter of fact there was no low C# string on the market at all until I had the concept made into a realty.And then they went to market. I have spent tireless time and effort on what works for me in regards to a low C# string.

I have a very very clear 17hz audible low C# string. And every person that has heard me live could not believe the clarity.

But you can't get a good low C#. Obviously you are doing something wrong.

People are able to hear my low C# through ipod speakers.

If you're having problems getting a clear low C# properly audible, you are not doing something right. People believe that you have to have a super thick string to do so.

My low C# string is under .200.

And for the record I do get a open 17hz out of my cab and on recordings as well.

Maybe you can you tell me how I was able to get lows so clear?

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jauqo

6. And the engineer in me comes out...

I don't recall saying that I can't get a good low c# - I'm yet to try tuning that low. I am also not so stupid as to believe that all you need is a thick string, I've been tinkering with f#'s for some time thanks. Your C# is a .195 yes? I recall Skip posting that he knows exactly one player who uses tensions as low as you... I have found your .165 substandard for my setup, the Warwick .175 is significantly better.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Your way works for you, not necessarily everyone else.

I don't care to start this discussion again (nor do I wish to take anything away from your development of the C#), but as has been said by numerous qualified experts (BillFM et al) - Your brain is tricking you into hearing 17hz. You have been pointed to articles on psychacoustics and the missing fundamental numerous times. Get a sinewave generator and plug it into ANYTHING you own and get it to play 17hz. You wont hear it (or ask the Ashdown engineers if their cabinets go down to 17hz). As has been said a million times, your bass note is full of harmonics. I don't doubt (nor do any of the tech heads in the amps forum) that you are hearing a C# bass guitar sound clearly, but you most definitely are not hearing genuine 17hz content. This (reoccurring) argument would cease to exist if you would simply agree that your speakers cannot produce 17hz. They can produce a low c# sound with a missing fundamental (and possibly even the second harmonic), but basically zero content at 17hz. There is a multitude of scientific research out there that supports this.

For the record my JBL 4893 has published, genuine (AES) specs of -3db at 38 hz, Ashdown's AMB410h - 70hz (testing methods unspecified).