1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Circle K experts - suggestions for my first set

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Aug 24, 2012.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I'm thinking about taking the plunge into the Circle K string world. I'm interested in the balanced sets, and have no experience with anything comparable in "balanced" design. I'm curently considering stringing up either my Warwick Corvette $$ 4-string, or my Nash PB 63.

My current band has one guitarist who tunes to Drop-C (down a whole on all & down an additional whole on the low string). I am not a huge fan of low-string drop-tuning, so I'd likely go with an equal interval drop on all strings.

The twist is that I'm not a huge fan of open-string sound, so I am interested in dropping the low string down to A or A#, so I can play in C at the 3rd or 2nd fret. I currently have a Dingwall ABZ5 strung with Payson's Flats and and tuned down a whole step. I love the tension feel of that setup, and would be stoked to get close to that string feel.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I would contact them at their site. I think they could tell you exactly what you need. My son plays in a band with all those drop tunings. He bought a pedal that does it for him, and he can keep bass tuned up with reg. tension.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Thank you for actually telling us which strings you use. It makes life much easier.

In playing around with D'Addario's numbers, I estimate that the unit weight of a ground wound string is about 1.026 times that of the equivalent-sized round wound. Thus, I estimate your .125 string to have a unit weight of 0.002819629.

At a 37" scale, your string tuned down to A0 (27.5 Hz) has just about 30.22 lbs of tension. At the 34" scale, the string set with the closest tension is the .136 set (31.15 lbs @ A0).

Now, Circle K strings are very flexible, which is often quite a bit different than what you're probably used to using. To compensate, I often recommend jumping up a gauge or two. The .142 (33.86 lbs @ A0) or the .150 sets (36.67lbs @ A0) are both viable options.

4. FunkMetal beat me to it, but I'd definitely go with a .142 or the .150 like he mentioned.

5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Thanks for the help!