1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Circle K on a Hofner

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mordechai, Mar 26, 2013.

1. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    Awesome! My first experience with Circle K strings, a previously used set. 98, 73, 55, 39.

My bass is Hofner 500/4, which is a Starfire shaped bass, but still has a very short tail piece. Which means great things for me because it turns out I can fit regular scale length strings on there no problem.

I've been a flat player for about ten years, but this bass is new to me. I'm just getting out of the honeymoon period, and was really uninspired by the flats on there. Looks like I'm back on rounds!

2. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    (making a scared face here)

What are those rounds doing to the neck on your Hofner? How does the tension compare to the stock strings?

3. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    The stock strings are long gone, probably 30 or 40 years gone. The neck seems fine, and I actually got it set up with lower relief than when I had D'Addario Chomes or Rotosound tapewounds on it. In general I find rounds have less tension than flats, as they have a lot less mass. Someone back me up here?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know why, but rounds do generally seem to have less tension than flats. Now it might be just the stiffness of flats compared to rounds, and I'm sure you'll find exceptions, but on the whole I'd agree. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it as long as the bass feels good.