1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Circle K strings...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by James Hart, Apr 6, 2009.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  2. :eek: gotta be better than 7-11 strings (drum roll, cymabal hit)

3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    is this a joke?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    How is it remotely a joke?

Skip of Knuckle Guitar Works already sells custom strings for his basses (39.55" scale length tuned an octave below a regular bass)
    http://www.knuckleguitarworks.com/what/strings.html

The K inside the circle is the Knuckle logo.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Good find, James.

I just posted a bit about the prototpye set I've been testing, in jokerjkny's 6-string set thread, and a little more yet toward the end of the fEarful thread in my sig. Best F#0 and B0 strings for my basses and approach I've ever played, and the rest of the set fits those like a glove : }

Skip is The Man.

6. circle k is a convenience store similar to 711, etc. www.circlek.com but aren't they everywhere...i would figure it to be an easy one to figure out! :)

7. Refonbass

Refonbass

Jan 29, 2006
    Windsor Ontario
    "Bill, strange things are afoot at the circle k"

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

oh I got the 7-11 reference and that joke. I was referring to whoatherechunk's post.

9. that's what i think his post was referring to, but i could be mistaken.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

indeed! I looked for posts referring to these and couldn't find any. Can you please quote them here?

11. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
  12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Hey James,

Might have been a couple of others, but here's the one in jokerjkny's thread in STRINGS:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7229802&postcount=9

And here's a couple in AMPS/fEarful thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7160869&postcount=805

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7164611&postcount=819

Skip has done something different here with wrap wire and core wire and tapering at the bridghe barrel I think really improves not only the low ERB pitches' tonality and intonation, but also the more standard gauges benefit. But I don't know if he wants me to get into specifics here, so I'll just say that this is the first set with a low F#0 that even on a 34" scale I like enough to keep on one bass full-time - I'm revelling in the entire range of the neck on my Six and I just hope production starts before I need more!

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    These are an entirely new forumulation that'll be available in a variety of scale lengths and weights. Skip had a pretty good thing going last time around with prototypes from Labella for more standard lengths, but those never saw production. The Quake-length strings are very good but they were built in conjunction with another winding company, and the new strings are a whole new ballgame (I've played the Quake sets as well as having tested the Labella and current prototypes).

Skip has really gone the distance to make this happen for us low-tuners and ERBists as well as people on more standard setups.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    yeah, I posted the link to Skips bass site as further proof this wasn't a joke (Stickk was quoting my earlier post).

Thanks for the links... I read through a few pages of part 1 and 2 of your thread and didn't see joker's thread.

Nickel over Stainless huh? I will be trying them as soon as I can and will judge with open ears and mind... but I am generally bothered by the feel of nickel rounds.

15. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    yeah that's what i was referring to. look like neat strings!