Circle of 4ths or Circle of 5ths? Which one?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Sep 14, 2003.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Which one is the one a beginner bassist should be using?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They're both the same thing really.

When you read the circle of 5ths counter-clockwise - that's the circle of 4ths.
    Or you mirror the circle of 5ths along the vertical axis. The flat keys take the place of the sharp keys and vice versa.
  3. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Depends on if you have a Jazz or Classical point of view. Jazz players think in terms of resolution, V down to I, G down to C. Hence circle of fifths. Classical trainned people think we are backwards.
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Both. If you go from C to a higher G its up a fifth. If you go from C to a lower G its down a fourth.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I meant to say that they are the same. The main point is that when you go from one tonic of a scale to the next (ie from C major to G major) the scales differ by one note.
  6. OldDawg

Jul 4, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    TO keep it simple if you go clockwise around the circle you are going UP a fifth. If you go counter-clockwise your are going DOWN a fifth.

Since much of the time you will be encountering the V down to I motion. You want to practice soloing and creating bass lines for the V-I movement. Like the turnaround in Blues Iv-V-I.
    Jazz ii-V-I. Also in Jazz you see a lot of ii-V moving down a fifth to another ii-V. Also a common sound in Jazz is to precede a chord by its V to add some to add some more color. Another sound is cycling through the circle of fifths making each chord a dominat. V to I is everywhere, be ready for it.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Trick question: so what about modulating by major thirds? :D
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    If this was reality, I would have stood up and screamed 'Bohemian Rhapsody! QUEEN, GODAMMIT! QUEEN!" :D