circle of flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by godspeed68, Aug 24, 2005.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Recently decided to try out some flatwounds (first time). Two brands that really stick out in my head are Labella and Thomastik-Infeld.....what can you guys tell me about these....are they worth droppin the cash on for a first set???? I'm a tone bitch :)

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've been a flats only player for a couple of years now and I have tried several brands (Labella, Fender, Thomastik-Infeld, D'addario). Tonewise I liked the TI's best. They are very unique strings. Fairly low tension when compared to other flats (flats are generally the tightest strings). I highly suggest you try them out.
  3. godspeed68

godspeed68 i like music. a lot.

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the advice. Love the quote.

"I'm a bass player....the only thing I slap besides my B-D strings are my kids....and the only thing I pop besides my D-G strings is corn......".....I think I like yours better, although I'm in love with my thumb.

Any other opinions??? (On the strings that is (or, yeah on the quote for that matter)) heh....peace.

4. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Having tried LaBellas, as well as having TI strings on all my basses, I can say:

Other than having flat windings, the two are nothing alike.

The LaBellas (Deep Talking Flats) stayed on for about a day. I didn't perceive that they were any better than the GHS Precision Flats that I'd used before. Really basic flatwound strings.

The TI Jazz Flats are way different and unlike any other flatwound I've ever tried.

TI does, I believe, make other flatwound strings which may be more "traditional".