Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Circuit-Breaker" cable save battery?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by coyoteboy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey folks.

Wonderin' if nay have experience with the cable with a button on the connector that short the cable for silent plug-unplug operatons. Is it a two position switch, on/off, or just a press in and pull out kind of operation?

If it's the first case, would leaving it "off" save your battery without unplugging the bass?

Thanks.

2. I use the Planet Waves circuit breakers at school

Its a button. When you press it in, the plug turns 'on', and when you press it again to make it go out, its 'off'

and I'm almost positive it wouldnt save the battery, because even though its breaking the circuit in the cable, its not doing anything to the circuit the battery is running on inside of the bass

3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Those on/off jacks do not save your internal preamp battery (batteries).

The contact pin allows you to unplug you bass from your amp while the amp is on, with out a spike.

Your internal preamp uses the sleeve of your jack to complete a circut providing power to the preamp. As long as your bass is plugged in you are using up battery life.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    They sound like a waste of money. You can easily unplug by simply half-unplugging the cable at the head end before you unplug the bass!

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Isn't it just as easy to turn the volume down on your amp. Neither of these suggestions will stop the spike from getting to the PA though (assuming you have PA support, which I usually do).

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't get any pop at all when I do this...

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I guess it depends where the PA guy takes the signal. Your PA guy might be taking it from the balanced out on the back of your amp which would indeed work. If you're feeding the PA via an external DI box, the signal is effectively coming straight off the bass, so unplugging it at the amp won't work.

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My bad - I should have mentioned that I never play though a PA!