1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cirque Du Soleil Bass players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kuma9, Jan 4, 2012.

1. kuma9

kuma9 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Philadelphia Pa
    I've been getting into the Cirque Du Soleil music lately and would like to know from the bass player's who do these gigs, what basses/equipment are you guys using? Also, where can I get the music score with bass lines from these shows. Alergria is my favorite so far......

2. Go to Cirque's site and look at the audition materials. Plenty of full charts with play along tracks are available for musicians who want to join the circus.

3. kuma9

Feb 14, 2007
    Philadelphia Pa
    Cool.... I'll check it out, thanks.

4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Doing a tour with Cirque Du Soliel would be incredible. The only downside is that I'm married and the women are sooo hot.

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    My son is auditioning for Cirque Du Soliel. His understanding is that it's actually more stable and less demanding than being a touring musician, which he is now. It's more akin to working long-term as a company employee. When you consider that Vegas has something like six Cirque shows going on for years it's not too shabby.

And to the earlier circus comment, musicians are leaving his current one year North American tour of a broadway show to join the circus, as it's considered an "upgrade" in pay and lifestyle :)

6. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    Cirque Du Soleil is the greatest show on earth !

If anyone happened to be at their show at the Santa Monica Pier back in 1989 drop me a pm....now, back to our regularly scheduled thread....

7. ebonalley

ebonalley

May 17, 2010
    lol

8. I caught the Cirque du Soliel "Elvis" show in Las Vegas in 2010. Bassist played an upright & a P bass. Very cool gig with revamped (slightly) music.

9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    At Iris he doubled upright and a 5-string fretted. He also got to get "shot" as part of the show. Actually a cool but challenging setup at the Kodak as the musicians (about 8 of them playing live) are spread between 4 different balcony locations on the side. The music is a mix of live players and sample/recorded bits. Tricky gig.

10. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    Not that it's exactly the same but a good buddy of mine played with the Blue Man Group long term in the same location, I think for over 2 years so it can be a good gig. Down side is there are no hot women....just blue men (yuk)

11. kuma9

Feb 14, 2007
    Philadelphia Pa
    OK, I checked the web site and didn't find any sheet music. If anyone knows where I can get some Cirque chats with the bass lines, please let me know.....

12. Let me clarify.

You need to fill out an application. Look for the "Jobs" link on the main Cirque page.

You will then get access to the audition materials. Your application is not considered complete until you submit an audition vid using their provided tracks and charts.

So, if you really want to see what they play - you can. Dig a little further.

13. Didn't Stu Hamm join the circus for a while a few years back?

14. kuma9

Feb 14, 2007
    Philadelphia Pa

OK, gotcha.......

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I believe so. I was looking for the article where he talked about it. IIRC, he said it was the toughest audition he ever did. (But don't quote me on that. I could be mixing interviews in my dusty closet memory.)

16. Yes something like that....I actually have that Bass Player mag in my room! Old news...:D

I would imagine a LOT of bassists wanting that job!

17. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Toronto
    I personally auditioned for CIRQUE 6 years ago or so and DO NOT see any tapes or charts on any of their sites even just checking now. It clearly states now ( as it did then ). things like playing more than one instrument, advanced improvisational skills.

I google and all Igot was YOUTUBE auditions but no official audition taps or materials alluded to by "GODIN FAN " :eyebrow:

Too, I know personally, several top notch players who were turned down, and 2 surprisingly okay players get accepted.

Many many complex factors in their audition process and it is not as simple as reading charts and bingo--you get the gig. I went to the audition expecting charts...and nadda...not even closely resembling any audition I have ever done was this audition. NOT 1 CHART to be had. I was led to believe that there would be chart reading even talking to them in person at the head office in Montreal, where I had done my audition ...it is just as much a psychological test as musical IMHO...thus there is no prep for that......

Too, I find that for the most part a 6 string fretless bass seems to be the bass instrument of choice for most of their productions ( lyrical and the range being an advantage of course-think Alain Caron ? ).

However, I can reasonably conclude all performers hired by CIRQUE seem to be uniquely gifted whatever their medium.

Pay is good, and work is steady.

Not a bad thing these days for most cats. :meh:

18. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    +1. Step One for my son was to submit a videotape of him playing a variety of styles. Not positive, but I inferred that what he played on the tape was up to him.

19. I put in an application with Cirque last fall, and they sent me a link to all of their audition materials. Even though I'd be going for a gig playing woodwinds, I did look at all of the guitar and bass materials as well.

Google doesn't pick up everything on the web...

20. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Toronto
    Do you still have the link ?

I'd be curious to see that as well as I'm sure other cats out here would like to see ?

Again let me re-iterate, I auditioned in person in Montreal and NO CHARTS.

Did you ever formally audition (on woodwinds ) and if so, were there charts ?? :meh: