Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus 5 or Pedulla MVP5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassin4him, May 22, 2002.

1. bassin4him

bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm a fairly new bassist (but an old musician) and play in my church's praise band (contemporary Christian). I presently have a Fender P-Bass Lyte Deluxe, which is very comfortable to play, but I have yet to coax that certain "growl" that I like out of this instrument. I'm also interested in changing from 4 to 5-string.

I really like the tone the bassist gets in the recordings done by the praise band at Hillsong Church (Australia), and I've learned he uses a Pedulla MVP5. The cost of a new MVP5 is beyond my affordability, but I have considered buying a new Cirrus 5 Bubinga/Walnut at approx. $1300.

I think a used MVP5 can be purchased used for $1500 or so. Will the Cirrus 5 provide this "tone" I'm after? (Yea, I know, "tone" is very subjective!)

Anyone have any suggestions? Playability and tone are my priorities.

Don

(Thanks malthumb for your advice; I'm starting a new thread in hopes of getting better response.)

2. I played an MVP4 yesterday and found it to be very, very trebly. I'm not sure if you'd like that tone. The Cirrus basses come in a variety of wood combinations and I'm sure one of them would have the tone you're looking for.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What kind of growl are you looking for? Any examples would help. Maurice Fitzgerald got a ton of growl out of a Cirrus. Others get great growl out of stock MIA JD5's (Fender's Made in America Jazz Deluxe five). A brand new Fender FMT 5, which is a MIA JD5 with a figured Maple top is well within your price range.

I had a Cirrus 5 but it was kind of redundant in my situation, it sounded close to my MTD 635 (which is hardly a bad thing). I have an FMT now and it is a beast, plain and simple. That's what I would get if I were in your situation but the catch is you may not like it while I love it.

Also in the price range you're talking about are some very heavy hitters. For example I just found an F Bass 5 that retails for over $3k for $1600. That doesn't happen everyday... if it did that would be my recommendation. There are also some builders you can find in that price range (or slightly more) Craig Muller at Crescent Moon Basses, Craig is a builder in MD who's doing great things. like Matt Pulcinella at MPG doing nice Jazz bass inspired work. Matt is in PA.

You could also try a Lakland Skyline 55-01, surprisingly punchy and growly 5 or for less money the MTD Kingston.

This is a great time to be looking for a bass, there's never been more choices. The trick is to figure out what will work for you. Any insight you can add will help us force our opinions and favorites on you ;)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, bassin4him. We have the same birthday.:cool:

I am a happy Cirrus 6 owner. It is a very modern sounding bass, but the preamp has enough flexibility to deliver old school tones as well.

The key to the sound of the MVP is the all maple body and neck, neckthrough body construction, ebony fingerboard, and Bart pickups.

To my ears, the Cirrus can get pretty close to the MVP sound. The best wood combination for this would probably be the maple/alder combination. To get the closest tone as possible, I suggest finding a Tigereye quilt model. It costs a little more, but it has an ebony fingerboard and a sweepable midrange, getting you even closer to the MVP tone, with a little midrange tweaking. If they made an all maple version, that would be ideal, but the top is maple and so is the neck, which is over 50% of the wood in the bass, so it gets pretty close.

I also own a Pedulla Rapture J2 5, the entry level Pedulla. I really like it a lot, but the tone isn't as sweet as the Cirrus IMHO. The Rapture J2 sounds pretty close to the MVP with 2 J's instead of the PJ setup, but with a little more punch and slightly more old school slap tone, due mostly to the bolt on neck and maple fingerboard, IMHO.

5. Dirty

Dirty

May 9, 2002
    Golden Colorado
    I've noticed that a lot of people don't like Warwick basses here at talkbass. But, I've had nothing but wonderful experiences with my Corvette Standard 5. If you are looking for a "growl" you might want to check one out.

I got mine for around 1000 bucks. Which my make it too low on the foodchain to compare to the basses you are looking at.

Admittedly a Warwick sounds like...well...a Warwick and if you want to change your sound much I wouldn't recommend it.

Just thought I would throw that out for ya.

:)

6. bassin4him

bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Brad,
    I don't know how to describe the "growl" I'm talking about, except that I seldom hear this tone in recordings, and I've never heard this tone live. Probably the best way to describe the growl is that it isn't particularly phat, but it does have the ability to cut thru the mix.

MP3 clips of Hillsong's albums are available at:

http://www.wordonline.com/integrity/hillsongs98.html

MP3's are a little lossy as far as quality, but I think you can catch the "growl" on the selections "All Things Are Possible" and "That's What We Came Here For."

Thanks for the help!

Don

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida