Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus 5 Owners - Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeMess, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of maybe making a Peavey Cirrus 5 my next bass. I really like the look of the flamed maple top, but I've got a few questions.

First, what is the finish on the tops of the bass? Is it like a clear laquer coat that makes it impossible to feel the grain of the wood?

Second, what is the neck like? Is it asymmetrical or more baseball bat shaped?

Basically, I've found that I might need a bass that doesn't have any kind of natural wood grain that I can feel because the bass I currently have (Carvin BB75) might be what's causing my eczema to flare up on my hands. If this is in fact an allergic reaction, I'll need to get another 5 string... It's too bad though, because I really dig the BB75.

Anyways, any help is much appreciated.

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The finish on the maple tops is gloss, but the back of the neck is oil finish. The shape of the neck is similar to carvin's (thinner front to back) but not assymetrical.

3. I thought that having the neck be fatter toward the lower strings and thinner under the higher strings made a neck assymetrical (i.e. not the same on each side). :confused:

So, you're saying that the necks are similar to Carvin necks?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The neck has a very thin profile, but isn't assymetrical. Just like Ed said.

They are pretty similar to a Carvin neck, yes. You might ask your doctor if an oil finished neck would aggravate your eczema.

5. I had an appointment today and she said that it wasn't eczema, that it was much too severe for that. She says it's an allergic reaction, but couldn't say to what. I still have my suspicians that it is the oil coat on the BB75, but we'll see. If it doesn't get better with time, we'll do a patch test to see if it is in fact the oil that I'm allergic to.

Just out of curiosity, what is the string spacing on a Cirrus 5?

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think 17.5mm

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think 17.5mm, the ABM bridge is adjustable to that width, I believe... :confused: