Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus 5 vs. Bongo 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ohmslaw, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    I have to admit that my interest in the Bongo has definatly been piqued by the threads I've read on The Forum. So much so that I'm really thinking of getting one. But first I'd like to know tone-wise how it stacks up to the Cirrus Right now my main bass is a quilt-top tiger eye Cirrus 5. I'd like to hear from some folks whove played a 5 string Bongo and a 5 string Cirrus. Does the Bongo blow it away or does the Cirrus hold it's own?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They are pretty different basses. I love both of them. I own a Cirrus 6, and wouldn't mind owning a Bongo 5.

On the used market, the Cirrus is a serious bargain. Pretty hard to beat a Cirrus for the going used rate.

For the new prices, the Bongo is a little better value than the Cirrus. IMHO Peavey has moved the price point on the neck through Cirrus line up a bit too far. You can darned near get a Zon or Roscoe for what a new Cirrus sells for.

The Bongo is a few hundred less, and is one heck of a bass. The 4 band preamp actually make it even more versatile than the Cirrus, which is a very versatile bass.

The Cirrus has an edge in the B string department, but the Bongo has a meatier sounding G string, IMHO due to the shorter scale length.

As far as overall tone, the Cirrus is a bit more compressed and refined sounding - think Ken Smith; The Bongo is a little more raw. Think of a Stingray, but with a lot of other tones available as well.

If I were in the market for a 5 string, it would be a tough choice, but if I were picking new Bongo vs. new Cirrus, I would get the Bongo.

That said, I will never part with my Cirrus 6.

Bottom line? You really can't go wrong with either.

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I say Bongo. It's cooler looking, and, to my hands and ears, plays and sounds better.

4. Ohmslaw

Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    Thanks,guys. Think I'll go to the local mom and pop today and try one of the Bongos they have.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What Jeff said..

;)