Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cirrus 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattyN, May 20, 2004.

1. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    i am thinking about purchasing this cirrus 5 on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3725198400

whats the deal w/ the "wenge top" - is this the fretboard? i'm a little confused about this.

any other comments from folks who own or have played similar axes would be appreciated.

(i already own a cirrus 4, maple).

-M

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    The top is the Body of the bass, the bass body may be made out of Swamp Ash, but the TOP on the body could be made out of Tulip Wood. Its really just like a Slice of Bread on a Sandwich, You understand? Im not the best at explaining things... The Wenge Top should add a little attack to the sound, I am a Believer in Tonewoods.

Cirrus Have Pau Ferro Finger boards, known for "SUPER CRISP highs" it has best response in the High-mid area.

3. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    yes, ok... i get it. thanks.

so what contributes more to tone... the body or the top?

i'm familiar with the fact that all woods have slightly different tones but am not sure what you mean by "tonewoods."

4. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    It look's to be walnut on top. You may want to visit the Peavey website they explain there wood type's and sound there. If you can get it for $700 or $750 buy it.

Good Luck

5. the body contributes to the tone more than the top. it stands to reason, too, because there's more resonant mass in the body than in the top.

all cirrus basses have a walnut body except the maple top model, which has an alder body.

robb.

6. nope. that's pretty clearly wenge:

[​IMG]

the body is walnut:

[​IMG]

robb.

7. Yes, definitely wenge.

The wenge model is supposed to be the most "agressive" sounding Cirrus IIRC. Unfortunately, it was discontinued because Peavey couldn't find a reliable, consistent source of wenge.

8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    "Tonewoods" is to some a bunch of crap really, bassically if you believe in "Tonewoods" you believe that any piece of wood on the bass will change its sound. The Actual tone you get from the Top is Quite subdued compaired to the Body or Fretboard or Neck, You would Notice a Much LARGER difference if the FB (Fret board) were made of Wenge instead of the Top. Same with the Neck ETC...

So yes, you will hear A difference in the bass depending on the top, some basses dont have tops, and Some do. Its more or less to "Fancy up" the bass, but it does serve some inportance of sound.

Wenge usually gives a Growly, sound with a Hard Attack. So more or Less THIS Cirrus WILL sound a little Growlier and have a More aggressive sound to it than your other...

Here are some good sites, But keep in mind that Veriables do affect the Outcome (I.E. Wenge on a Maple Body will sound Different than Wenge on a Swamp ash Body, etc...)

http://www.rampartguitars.com/Tonewoods.htm (Tonewood)

http://www.galleryhardwoods.com/ (Good examples of different Woods)

EDIT: Hope this helps

Good Times

-Tim

9. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA