Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus 6 or Bill Dickens Signature?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IronSpatula, Dec 17, 2003.

Conklin BD Sig 7 or Peavey Cirrus 6?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2003.
  1. Conklin

17 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. Peavey

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Screw extended-range basses!

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. If you had to choose one, which would it be, and why? I know they're totally different, I'm just curious what you feel are the individual strengths and weaknesses of each, and the particular niches which they feel.

2. Hands down Conklin BD7!!!

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    No offense to Conklin players but, I think the Conklin basses are some the ugliest basses made. I really dont like thier feel either. My experience was with a Conklin 4, not a multi-string. However I did try a Cirrus 6 a week a go. Nice bass, nice looks. Try to find a used Cirrus, you can save some mad cash that way. My vote, Peavey.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow. Tough choice. IMHO, the GT7 is not in the same league as the Cirrus. But the BD7 certainly is. Someday, when I have everything else, I will get one of those myself.

If you think that you need 7, get the BD. If you think that 6 will suffice, get the Cirrus.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one. The two best extended range basses under $2000.

5. never played the conklin, but I have a Peavey Cirrus 5 and it is a awesome bass. for me 5-strings is enough. but I think the main thing you have to decide is if you want a 6 or 7 string. they are both your best choices for eather one in that price range.

6. well said!

as most here would say, both are phenomenal basses, just different. it basically comes down to your preferences, but you cant go wrong with either of the two. :)

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The man is wise beyond his years...:bassist:
    Another Agreed Post

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There are some slight differences that may be important to think about as well. The Cirrus is 35" scale, while the GT-BD7 is 34". The B on the Dickens is great, but I mention this in case the comfort of certain scale lengths is an issue to you. I've never been able to get my hands on a Cirrus, but I owned a GT-BD7 and it was a fantastic bass, for what it's worth.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm going to have to disagree here. I think that with a simple preamp upgrade, it'd be every bit as good as a Cirrus (I'm about to drop an Aguilar OBP-1 in mine). :)

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well that's really not the bass being better then, is it? You could do a simple preamp upgrade to the Cirrus making it even better as well.

11. Hello??? we are talking about the GTBD7 not the GT7 there is a lot of difference. The GTBD has a very nice Preamp (bartolini) and also bartolini pickups. the GT7 has bartolini pickups and a regular preamp (not very good). I myself have a GT7 and I'm gonna put an Aguilar 3 way into it so I dont know man I love Conklin and Peavey for me its just not quite like a conklin.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Everyone is well aware of what the subject of the thread is-there was just some expounding on a related subject that is normal to all TB threads.

13. yeah but a cirrus is about 1.5k and a gt7 is like 1k. so big difference

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    considering the price difference you could outfit a gt7 with a preamp every bit as good, or even better, than the cirrus, for less money.

the less money part being the operative word. :)

15. thats another person john adds to his list of people he's suckered into buying a conklin:D

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D

17. not me though, i got a 5, and will only have a 5.

18. btw. get a Musicman.

19. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thats neither here nor there in regards the the threads initial question though since were talking about a GTBD-7 which is a much more expensive bass if I remember correctly.

Personally I'd go with the Cirrus myself since its a 6. Though if th GTBD was a 6 I'd be all over it instead. Their both fantabulous basses though and you can't go wrong with either one. Really depends if that extra string is needed in the long run for what you wanna do.:)

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the bd's can be had for about $1500-$1800, iirc.