Cirrus 6 vs. TRB6 JP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Jul 24, 2001.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, guys and girls, I need a little help from people who have played both of these basses.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Cirrus(flame maple/alder, peacock blue).

I have already started gathering the funds for the Cirrus, but today I was offered a 1999 John Patitucci signature(bolt on) model for the same $$$ as the Cirrus.

So, I want to find out from people with a lot of experience with either or both of these basses, any positive or negative comments that you can give me about them.

Thanks in advance!:)
  2. I've played the TRB, and it rules. Nice weight, well balanced, good B and great tone. The neck seems to be just the right size for a 6, IMO, and the bass itself looks like a quality instrument. Never played a Cirrus.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I've played both, though not for very long (about 1/2 hour with the Yamaha, an hour with the Cirrus 6). I personally thought the Cirrus was the better bass. Better B string, most comfortable neck on a 6 string that I have ever played. (it might help that I own a Cirrus 5, so I am used to the neck shape already)

They both balance well, strapped and sitting. I thought the Cirrus was a little bit more comfortable to play, but again, I might be biased. I did prefer the tone of the Cirrus over the Yamaha.

Sorry I am not much help here, I didn't have a lot of time with the Yamaha. But from my short first impression, there is no doubt in my mind that for the same money, I would go with the Cirrus, hands down. More bang for the buck, in my opinion. Not to say that the Yamaha is bad, on the contrary, it is a great bass. But in my opinion, it just isn't as good as the Cirrus.:D

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'll add to your confusion ;)...

For even $$$, I would pick the Yamaha TRB-JP over the Cirrus. Both basses have great playability, but the Yamaha has wider string spacing and, obviously, a wider neck. Both basses have a thin neck profile. I consider myself an aggressive right-hand (plucking hand) player, so I liked the wider string spacing. I think that there is enough of a difference that if you play both basses, one will seem more comfortable to you.

Also, I seem to prefer bolt-ons over neck-thru's. I'm sure you already know which you like better. I'll also choose a good 34" scale bass over a good 35" scale. I'm just more used to the 34" scale. (I'm only pointing out this difference in this tight race between these two basses. 35" scale basses really don't bother me).

Finally, if the Yamaha was not the JP sig. model, I would snag the Cirrus. I really like the Cirrus 6 (and have considered buying one), but the extras on the JP Yamaha would put me on the Yamaha side of the fence.

Either way, you'll end up with a great 6'er, which I know is what makes the decision so hard. ;) Good luck...
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jeff, I've spent a bunch of time with both basses (that's right, still didn't get a life for my b-day).

Just to be clear, does the 99 JP have the older style thin pickups or the same ones as the TRB6II?
    I know I've played them, just a little fuzzy on details.

I bought a TRB6II on the strength of several Pattitucci basses I had played previously. The TRB6II electronics have a 3 band EQ that doesn't have the three position selectable mids of the Pattitucci. It sounded nothing like the Pattitucci.
    The 3 bands were all centered wrong and it sounded thin and pretty much blah.

If it's a JP with the thin p'ups (think superwide J pickup), slap cut body and Pattitucci electronics I'd choose it over the Cirrus for a six. Here's the catch...I've seen a bunch of these for $800 or less. It's a rough market for sellers.

I'd guess the Cirrus is more than that. The Cirrus with Maple top and the Redwood top are my favorites and if this were for a five I'd pick the Cirrus but for a six, if you like wide spacing, low action, excellent playability and great sound I'd give the edge to the Yammy...again, as long as it doesn't have the big soapbars.

I think I confused myself;)
  6. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I tried both and thought the TRB-6P was best. Better sound, better quality, better features.

Both are nice but the Yamaha was the clear winner so I bought a brand new "from old stock" TRB-6P.

Of all the basses that I reasearched in that price range the TRB and Cirrus were #1 and #2. Truthfully you couldn't go either way.
  7. embellisher

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Brad, it is the one with the slap cutout and the thin pickups, I think.

I attached a pic to this post, and I'll attach a pic of the Cirrus to the next one.
  8. embellisher

Here's a pic of what the Cirrus color and wood look like. Don't have a pic of the actual bass, but the seller tells me that the figuring on his looks better than this pic.
  9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's the one, Jeff:D. Two years ago I couldn't find one for under $ how the worm has turned;). I ended up with the TRB6II which isn't a bad bass ( I certainly would not buy one again) but that 6JP is on an entirely different level IMO.

Back then I found three JP's locally (in one month), all around the same price. I've seen TRB6's as low as $600.

Are both of these in the same $$ range? really can't go wrong with either bass.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

If you don't, I will. Besides, I was there first. :D
  11. embellisher

Yes, Brad, they are both in the same $$$ range.

I passed up a Cirrus when I bought the Zon, and I am kind of afraid that if I pass this Cirrus up, that I will get GAS for one again.

But the JP is a great 6, and I had major GAS for the old neck through model for years.

Does this model have a piezo bridge?

Oh, and Angus, shaddap!;)
  12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Pretty sure it doesn't have the piezo bridge. The cool thing is it combines the playability of the neck through with the bite of a bolt-on.

The Cirrus in that color isn't very common. I understand about the possible GAS delayed. Bottom have to decide...

there are worse things;)
  13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i had the old trb6p that was neck through, had the piezo pickups and the slim j looking pickups. the patitucci is much better. i hated the feel of the painted neck and i never could find a usable sound with the piezos.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The Cirrus is a fine bass and worth the money, but the Patitucci, to me, feels more solid and sounds punchier. I would take the JP, no question. Mileage varies, as always.
  15. embellisher

OK, now another question.

The Cirrus is in Canada, and the Yamaha is in Puerto Rico.

Any idea what shipping from PR would cost?

How does Paypal work on large transactions like this?
  16. Pssst... Go for the Cirrus!

Hee hee, I guess I'm a little biased, but I thought that since I've tried both of these instruments I thought I'd shed a little light on the subject too. I actually almost bought a 99 Patitucci instead of the Cirrus. It was a really nice bass and the electronics on it had been upgraded and it had also been made fretless. Since it was my teacher's and he had the work on it while I was studying with him, I did get to play it while it was both fretted and fretless.

Although I liked the feel of the bass, I never got as comfortable with it as I did the Cirrus. I have to agree with Ryan Lunneborg's earlier post and say that I too felt more comfortable behind the Cirrus than I did the Yamaha. It was a really nice bass though. Very good looking, all black, and it had a silky sound, but there wasn't much sustain and the B string could have been better. I also felt that the tone of the bass was a little thin or compressed sounding compared to the Cirrus, although I did prefer the midrange of the Yamaha.

Well, that's my two cents. Either bass would be great to have.
  17. embellisher

reedith, I was suprised you hadn't jumped in on this thread before now. :)

I will have the money tomorrow, now I am just torn between your bass, the TRB-JP that I posted, and nanook's TRB6P.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!:confused:
  18. Yeah, I know it's a tough choice man. I guess you gotta go with the one that'll leave you with the least GAS afterwards. But which will that be...

C I R R U S

What? What was that?? I didn't say anything...

(My apologies for in anyway coming off as a commissioned salesman!)
  19. embellisher

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

Aug 16, 2000
    Hello fellow bassists!

I have the Yamaha catalog right here. About the TRB JP:

Bolt-on neck.
    34" scale length.
    Ebony fingerboard.
    40" fingerboard radius.
    24 frets.
    Ash/alder body, with maple top.
    Solid brass bridge.
    Double truss rods.
    Gold hardware.
    Side by side double coil (Alnico V).
    Active 5-control, incl. presettable 3-position mid-switch.
    Color: amber, or charcoal gray.

Greetings from Sweden/Big Tony