Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus bolt on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hateater, Feb 10, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I played a Cirrus at the local Sam Ash and i REALLY liked what i heard and felt. The only drawback of the Cirrus (at least to me) is the price. I had seen that there was a BO Cirrus that Peavey debuted (sp?) at NAMM and i thought that maybe it would be cheaper than the neck through. I just checked and it is about 200 dollars less..... so now I get to the questions.

1. Is that a fair drop in price?

2. Would there be a significant change in the sustain with the BO?

3. Which one would you buy? (just put yourself in my place... min wage job of $6.75 an hour with no money saved up)

I would really appreciate some feedback on this!

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Ive never heard of something like that, and if anyone knows anything more about it, dont hesitate to share it with us!

P.S.- I couldn't imagine my cirrus not being neck-thru.

1. Seems fair to me.
    2. For all intents and purposes, Im sure the sustain wouldn't be noticeably different, unless you wanted to hold out a note for 30 seconds.
    3. Honestly, I'd splurge and buy the neck thru. Heck, I did.

3. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    In this pic you can't see how the handled the actual bolting- but you can see what it looks like. This is the bubinga model. Here are some specs pulled off the site:

Cirrus Bubinga

· 35" scale on 5-string; 34" scale on 4-string
    · 24 frets
    · Hipshot™ hardware
    · Bolt-on body construction
    · Walnut neck with wenge fingerboard
    · Walnut body with bubinga top
    · Two internally active VFL pickups
    · On-board active three-band EQ with bass/variable mid/treble boost and cut
    · Low impedance output (18 Volt powered)
    · Dual-compression finger bridge

It comes in Mahogany too.....

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    born in 85, so you're only a little younger than my brother...whos about to go to college. making minimum wage w/no $ saved up... not knowing anything about you besides those two things, i'd probably get the cheaper one and save more for college related expenses or moving out or whatnot.

5. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am also nearing college (senior in high school), but I do not really have to worry about tuition or books. I am one of those lucky guys whos parents are willing to pay for their college expenses. Also, i don't plan on moving out for a few more years yet.

6. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
  7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I understand the minimum wage gig. But I hardly see the price of the Cirrus as a "drawback." That's as fine a bass as anything I have ever played/heard/seen. And it comes for what? $1200-$2000? (I haven't read the Cirrus price check thread, but that seems to be the price range I've seen them at depending on the options.)

Just $0.02 from a long-time Peavey basher who is willing to admit they have built a damn fine instrument there at an amazing price.

8. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    ...Official US street prices $1320 (except: $1400 for Redwood; $2000 for Tiger Eye) + in store discounts around a further 10%.

The point of this thread is that US$200 off the list price at best translates to US$140 off the street prices. Even if it's US$200 off the street price, I don't see how this really makes the bass available to a whole lot more people, which is Peavey's stated objective.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man I think the Cirrus basses are a steal for the price.. They can hold there own against alot of the more expensive gear around.

and if you aren't going to have to pay for college and you will be living at home.. I suggest a part time job.. you can have that bass in a few months

10. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, starting in May I will work at Raging waters in San Dimas, Cal. When summer starts, i will work about 40 hours a week, so I will be able to save up money pretty easily. Thanks for all the advice guys... if you are ever at Raging Waters, come by and I will hook you all up with funnel cakes! :p