Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus BXP Bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Mar 9, 2006.

1. I've noticed that the bridges are different on the BXP Cirrus line than the US Cirrus. The BXP has individual saddles, while the US line uses solid bridges, that look like Hipshots. Has anyone replaced their bridges on the BXP with Hipshots, like the US line? Are they a standard fit?

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I am actually happy with the individual 'finger' bridge on my BXP. Intonates well action is great and the bass isn't lacking for sustain. I did change out the preamp...that was a big plus to me-otherwise, I will just enjoy the thing.

3. Is the preamp on the BXP the same as the US Cirrus? For that matter, are all the electronics the same?

4. No. All Peavey BXP instruments (Cirrus, Mellinium, etc..) all feature a, for lack of a better word, "watered down" version of the electronics. The PICKUPS are the same, standard VFL Peavey humbuckers, but the preamp is a cheaper version of the US model. Some people say they can't tell the difference between the two. I personally can, but even the BXP sounds amazing.

Rok51, what did you use to replace the preamp? The only person I've ever heard that was satisfyed with the switch used a US Mellinium (sp?) preamp that they took out of their old bass? Is this what you did or did you use an after market brand (Aggie, Bartolini, etc..)??

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Snake, I used the US Millennium pre-amp. It's the same kind I have put in my US Cirrus as well-in that case only to get the sweepable midrange(the only difference)...which really opens up the tonal pallette!!! Actually, the top line Quilt Top US Cirrus comes standard with the Millennium preamp. Another cross-pollination-the G Bass uses the Cirrus electronics minus the 'blend' control.
    I will agree that the BXP electronics are a cut above what is traditionally available at their price point. Still, the difference between either the US Cirrus or US Millennium pre's are very noticeable to me. The US electronics are somewhat more 'transparent' and the range of adjustment seems more progressive than the BXP.

Kim

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The basses on the USA Cirrus' are ABM just to clarify. My Grind BXP (non-NTB) has individual bridge units per string too, nothing wrong with them as far as I can tell, fortunatley not had to mess with them much.

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Yes, the bridges on the USA Cirrus' are indeed milled ABM bridges, with the exception of the bridge on the Tiger Eye quilt maple bass, which is made by Hipshot.

- Ugly.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Hey Kim, did you have any problems installing that Millennium preamp in your Cirrus? I asked about doing this once on Peavey's forum and was told by A.J. (Peavey Rep) that it wouldn't fit, but didn't elaborate as to what the specific issues would be.

- Ugly.

9. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    UBP,
    No there really is no problem. The only 'mod' that is needed is to slightly enlarge the hole for the stacked midrange pot. Other than that, it just slips in like the Cirrus pre.

AJ on the Peavey Forum is one helluva nice fellow! I think that he has to cover such a wide area of topics on the forum that when he researches a question "if it ain't in the manual, it can't be done" can be a tempting response. He is being perfectly honest in this case...the Millennium preamp will not just slide in place...a hole has to be slightly enlarged, first. There is no way that a moderator in his position can encourage such modifications...he cannot judge the experience and skill of those asking the question.
    Unless one is comfortable soldering and desoldering printed circuit boards and can map out the wiring of the two circuit boards I would not recommend changing preamps.

Hope this helps.

Kim