1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cirrus BXP Series. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 18, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I've had a Cirrus 5 BXP for a little over two years now, and I have yet to play a bass that feels better neck/tone wise. Closest thing I have found to it is probably a Warwick of some sort. I just love the necks on these things, and the pick-up feels nice resting your thumb on it.

These list for about $880. Are these truly quality instruments? Are they OK? Horrible?

I'm considering getting a new bass, either a 4-string or a 6-string just to have some variety, but I'm pretty satisfied with my Cirrus right now.

Anyone else own a Cirrus?

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    If you like the BXP, what do you care what we think of it?

I'd say if you wanted to upgrade, a US Cirrus would be great if you buy used. Better neck, same PUPS but better pre and better build quality. $650-about $900 if you look around. However, if you like your Cirrus why don't you get something that sounds different like a good P or J bass.

That said, there are a lot of great basses out there. I own two Cirruses and like them a lot, but there are also a ton of basses out there in the same price range that I like just as much and would/will own when I have the money for them.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    There see, you answered your own question.
    Maybe see if you can find a used USA Peavey Millennium. I've seen a few 4 strings for sale here for real good prices. Snatched up a couple Millenium 5s myself and am real happy with them. Also they are 35" scale like your Cirrus so you won't have to switch back and forth between scale lengths.
    Here's mine
    familyphoto2008.

4. MistaMarko

MistaMarko Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Was just asking for other people's opinions... :bag:

Regardless, I'd like to try out a US Cirrus; haven't had the chance to find one though.

5. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    I have the Cirrus BXP 4-string model. I absolutely enjoy playing it. Got it for $499 at GC.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

What he meant is that the only opinion that matters is yor own.;) If you think it's a good bass, than it's a good bass.

My opinion since you asked is that they are really nice basses. They match up well to anything in their price range. Infact being that they are 35" scale and are neck throughs make them a real bargain. I like the tone as well.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    :bassist:
    Correct, if it sounds good to you and feels good playing it, it must be a good bass.

8. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have a US 4 Cirrus and a BXP 5 string Cirrus. The US is the better instrument, IMHO. That said, I LOVE the BXP!! I put a (US) Millennium pre in the BXP-I also put one in my US Cirrus. The preamp switch brought the BXP to life! It is indistinguishable, tonewise, from my US model. The necks on the BXP models are a little bit thicker, front-to-rear, than the equivalent US models, I am assuming this is to make up for the lack of graphite reinforcing in the BXP series. Even so, it is very comfortable to my (very) small hands.
    I originally opted for a BXP Cirrus 5 to test the five string waters and see if I could actually play one. I could. The plan was to check out the fiver on the BXP and if I liked it, flip it and by the US Cirrus fiver. Funny thing, I like my BXP, since adding the new pre, that I just don't want to sell it to get the US version. Kinda like we have 'bonded'. It really is sweet, plays excellently and sounds wonderful.
    I have to add a (personal) caveat: I very strongly prefer the mahogany bodied BXP Cirrus models to the agathis bodied ones. Both the feel and sound is different between these two body woods. Price is the same, so just be aware that they DO sound/feel different and choose the one that fits your style/sound the best.

Cheers!

Kim