Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cirrus bxp vs the original cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass1, Jul 2, 2005.

1. bass1

bass1

Dec 11, 2004
    Does anyone know the differences,any hands on experience with the two?

2. Yea, the only difference is the BXP doesn't have a drop d tuner or an adjustable bridge,oh and not as many color or wood variations.That's all.And the BXP is half the price made also in the USA.So I would say judge for yourself if it makes sense to spend the extra cash for these options.Hope this helped. Joe

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The Cirrus BXP sounds more like the Millennium AC BXP but with more articulation of the notes - which depending on your taste is either a good or a bad thing. Personally I like it. When I play my Cirrus BXP I tend to get a lot of compliments on my tone. It is punchy and bright without losing the fundamental. The other difference is the wood choice and the quality. While the BXP is a well constructed bass when you hold a regular Cirrus you can tell you are holding a bass of high quality. The regular Cirrus is much smoother sounding to my ears - but that is a function of the material choices as well. My regular Cirrus is made of Mahoganey and Pau Ferro :D while the BXP has a Agathis body with a Maple Tiger Eye top and has a Maple neck with Pau Ferro finger board. In the end the Cirrus BXP is a good bass for the money.

4. I've never known any original Cirrus models to come with a drop d tuner. I have one myself, and I don't think they come stock with a drop d tuner.
    1.Different wood selections
    2.+/- 18dB cut/boost on the EQ
    3.Adjustable bridge
    4.Hardshell case
    5.The overall tone and quality.

5. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    They can be ordered with a Drop D tuner if you are going through the custom shop. The cases are really nice - molded to the bass and durable. The tone is to die for ....

6. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I can't speak from personal experience, but until now I've only heard that the real Cirrus kills the BXP dead. I've played a Cirrus and it was definately a nice bass.

7. GoLow

GoLow

Jun 21, 2005
    Georgia
    The Cirrus BXP is made in Korea, I believe.

8. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    the BXP Cirrus is not made in the usa!!! and to me there is a big diffrance in these two basses! i have played both and owned a Cirrus 5 Maple !you are much better off buying a used usa cirrus for the same as a new Bxp Cirrus! dont get me wrong im not slamming the bxp Cirrus its a great playing bass! but just lay them side by side and look at the detail work on each and make up your own mine!!!! :eek:

9. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    played many fo the older and a couple of the newer BXPs. didn't dig any of the bxps. All of those older cirrusses were very nice basses. I didnt think they were very similar, in feel or sound.

10. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The Cirrus BXP is new as of this year. Are you thinking of the Millennium AC BXP?

11. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    I own a Original Cirrus 4 and I seen a new BXP Cirrus and thought I would give it a try. It wasnt a Hair on the original Cirrus's @ss. It could be my original is just extraordinary or this one was a bad one but. The sustain wasnt there or the tone. The original just sings when you play it and this BXP didnt do that at all. I thought maybe it was just the amp so I unplugged it and played it without an amp and it just didnt have it. Sorry if I dissapointed you. I would take the earlier advice and buy a used original Cirrus. I love mine. I will have to admit every once in a while I think it sounds a little thin and go looking and trying to find something I like better but I still own it so I guess that is the best compliment I could give the Bass. I have thought about trying a different PUP Preamp configuration but there isnt a replacement made. I talked to the Peavey pro shop and they say that is the best they have and have no plans of upgrading the Cirrus preamp. You should be able to find a used 4 for about $750.00 to $850.00 and a used 5 for $850.00 to $1000.00 and be very happy with it. Good luck and I hope you spring for an original.

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, it was two months ago that a local store had about two in, and two weeks that they had a different one in. It said Cirrus BXP at the top.

13. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Well two months ago would make it this year :) Your first statement sort of implied, through the use of the word older, that you had tried a BXP that was made sometime in the past. Sometimes with the way Peavey markets brand names clarification is certainly needed. :)

Dan

14. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    That's interesting. I have one of each and I have to say that the original Cirrus is just incredible. I love it and it is definitely my "go to" bass. However my experience with the BXP is different. Mine sustains like crazy and has decent tone (I put Cirrus strings on it and that made a good difference, though it is likely to get Half Rounds on next). Having said that it doesn't sound nearly as good as the Cirrus 5. It just sounds a lot better than many other basses in the same price range and is the object of many compliments when I do play it. If a person can get a used original Cirrus for the same money as the BXP I would say get the used Cirrus - they are awesome :hyper: , otherwise the BXP is a good deal. Based on HoundDog's experience I would say play it first and makde sure it is a good one.

Dan