Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus Custom Shop Tiger-eye 6 Teaser!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Unique one time deal!

Just got into this bass on eval. My local dealer took it in as stock from the rep, so it's one of the extra special models used to really show off the line.

I've got first dibs on it, but I'm also still struggling with the 6 string format, so I may have to pass on it and order a 5 (and wait for it... *sigh*). However, I'm tryin' real hard to acclimate to it, because this is an awesome and unusual custom shop 6 with options not even available on the web site!. Further, there's special pricing on it, as well!

Features:

Standard Tiger-eye (I believe): Highly figured quilted top and matching peghead veneer, high gloss stain finish, upgraded preamp with sweepable mids... ahhh, but there's more... :)

Custom features: I believe it has a mahogany body, as opposed to alder (I could be wrong on this, but the standard maple Cirrus does have an alder body, which I think is also true of the standard Tiger-eye, and I'm almost positive this one's mahogany... at least I'm pretty sure it's not alder). Also a birdseye maple fingerboard (standard Tiger-eye is just plain good maple or ebony fingerboard, I believe). It also has a fully finished neck, so no "speed bump" like on other models where the gloss finish "starts" on the neck up at the body.

This thing plays and sounds UNREAL!

ENOUGH! On with the pics (bigger pics here)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All you Cirrus fans and others let me know what you think! :D

2. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    For those of you out there interested in this if I pass on it, I'll collect your email addresses and save them in the order recieved. First come first served if the deal gets passed on. I guarantee it will be worth it. Just PM or email me and I'll save a list.

But for now... MITS OFF! IT'S MINE! :)

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats on a sweet looking Cirrus!:cool:

The knobs are walnut, my tigereye has them too.

Mine also has walnut backplates. I guess they must have stopped that.

Mine also has a birdseye maple neck, all of the tigereyes do.

The birdseye maple fingerboard is a fairly new option, and I have never seen a Cirrus with one in person, only in pictures.

What makes you sure that the body is not alder? Mine is the same color, due to the finish.

Careful with that headstock overlay. It is very fragile.

4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    First, thanks for all the info... I've seen lotsa' tiger eye pix, but didn't recall noticing the neck wood before. Nice to know I was at least right about the fingerboard and body wood if not the rest (like the knobs). :)

Oh, also, are all the tiger eyes finished on the back of the necks, too? Never seen that on a Cirrus before, but again, this is my first touch on a Tiger eye.

I studied the grain. I also welcome correction on this as needed, but I've seen a lot of alder, which basically looks like a darker flavor of maple. However, this bass has a very distinctive grain, which I don't think I've ever seen in alder. Especially the grain right next to the neck... looks like mahogany lines to me.

Pic below, pardon the discoloration, not optimal lighting so the camera's white balance is off. Too lazy to fix it before posting. :)

[​IMG]
    Man, look at the figuring in that birdseye! They're all really like that? Wow. (In case anyone wonders, the dark splotch in this pic is a shadow... it's not in the grain :) ).

Huh?? I had a Cirrus 5 before, and while I know that didn't have the veneer on the carbon like the tiger eyse do, and while I don't bang my stuff around, I'd still like to know what you're getting at here?

5. embellisher

The neck on all the ones that I have ever seen is oil finished. I have only seen one Cirrus period with a painted neck, a beautiful quilt top peacock blue.

The headstock overlay is a very thin veneer. Mine has 2 deep gashes in it from collisions with cymbal stands.:( It is also separating from the graphite in a couple of places, although it is not that bad. Maybe a 0.1mm gap.

6. embellisher

Yeah, the birdseye on mine is pretty much like that. Although the finish makes yours 'pop out' more. Again, nice Cirrus!:)

7. embellisher

If by your comment 'the grain next to the neck' you are referring to the part where it is darker, that is the first neck laminate, which is purpleheart.

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No no, I know about the stringers and bass construction. :)

I'm refering to the really distinctive grain on the body wing especially right where it meets the neck lams. I shoulda' took pics of the lower wing, too... really looks like mahogany grain to me.

Those darker lines in the grain are what I'm referring to...

For example, check out these links with nice clear pix of woods...

Mahogany
    Alder

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    It`s a really nice instrument.
    I don`t know if it`s unique or not, but it`s beautiful anyway.
    Looks very classy !!

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Very nice indeed. I just played my first Cirrus 6 a few weeks ago, and now I'm jonesing for one pretty bad. All I need now is the money.

11. Absolutely beautiful!!! With basses like these can there really be any Peavey bashers left? Vics I was in a similar situation with the 6 string thing. I wanted a 5 but they only had a 6. After a month of visits to the store I bought her and never looked back. Don't let that one slip pass you!!!

12. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    wow, Cirrus sure has stepped up in the boutique bass market. that neck is amazing.

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nice bass! :hyper:

Any TBers have Cirrus custom shop orders actually placed?

side note: I've never heard anything further about my custom Cirrus, which is actually just as well...

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    The reasons this bass is so appealing to me even tho I'm really mostly just a Fiver, are because...

1.) Cirrus', especially Custom Shop ones, are damn hard to get these days. My dealer told me it'd be "a wait" if I ordered one... even a stock model. He called, and Peavey has NONE available right now, which means it's all on shop delay at this point. Basically their custom shop is now like any highly in-demand luthier... way behind due to demand.

2.) While all Cirrus' are really great, I think this one's got "an edge", and I think that was deliberate due to the intended role of this bass... to impress existing and potential dealers, who very likely may employ a qualified bass player capable of critiquing to painful detail... especially since it's a Peavey (sorry, but "the baggage" is still out there, tho the Cirrus is doing it's part to kill it). In short, this was not really intended to be a standard dealer stock model.

While this bass may not have that many specific features above the "standard" (if you can call it that) Tiger Eye model, this is still a very unique opportunity due to #2 above as well as the special deal being offered on this bass, which is purely circumstantial. I just happened to catch my dealer at one of those times when he just decided he wants to move some stock and increase flow. Every once in a while he does this, and lets me know about it. I've been happily working with him for a very long time, and this is one of my perks of our relationship. :)

FYI, I helped him move an awesome NOS Redwood/Alder Cirrus 5 on TB not too long ago, and someone got a GREAT deal on that, too. So, IF (big "if") I pass this deal on, it's just me doing my part to support the community. I will not make one red cent on it. This bass WILL NOT sit on the wall. Period. This is one of his perks of our relationship. :)

I just happen to be a serious fan of the Cirrus and have sorely regretted getting rid of my 5 a while back. Trying to remedy that right now... ;)

P.S. Sorry about being nebulous about "the deal" but the actual deal price has not yet been established, and won't be relevant here anyway if I keep it, so that's why. Again, tho, I guarantee it'll be unbeatable if I do post it up here (albeit in the for sale area as appropriate, of course).

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Tell me about it! It almost reminds me of something like a Ritter!

The other thing is, for those not having seen a Cirrus up close... that's not just a thin veneer of quilted maple on top. It's a genuine honest maple top with a good thickness to it.

16. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    looks like mahogany to me

17. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    ;) That would be me, and it was a great deal!

18. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    That's a pretty cirrus. Blows all three of mine away. While I've considered moving up from them... that's a cirrus I'd like to have and to keep!

Troll

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Exactly, and honestly, if I can aclimate to the 6, it ain't goin' nowhere, but I'm just bein real about it, 'cause I've had a nice 6 a while back (Alembic) and ended up sellin' it just cause I never really played it (which was a terrible shame for that bass, and definitely would be for this one, too).