Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slamzilla, Oct 14, 2004.

1. slamzilla

slamzilla

Feb 17, 2004
    DFW
    It's up! It's up!
    Go check out the peavey site.
    Drool time folks.
    Zilla :p

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    WOOOO! :)

3. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i love my cirrus... but oh the possibilities!!! Now im gonna have to save to get another

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Paging Secret Donkey!

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.

Claro Walnut top + the first choice on the "Transparent Finishes" list. Holy hell. Best ever.

I've got serious GAS now! Peavey's finally getting some real classy stuff going on.

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Who? What? Me?

I dunno if you caught my earlier thread, but I pulled my money out of my custom Cirrus deal after months of missed deadlines, and put it towards an MTD 535. The Peavey rep told me they'd ship the bass to my dealer when it is complete and I could buy it at my option. Whether that happens remains to be seen.

I'm glad Peavey is doing the custom shop, and I honestly believe that they will avoid the mistakes it made on my custom order. They aren't offering inlays like I am/was getting, which was supposedly the source of most of the problem.

Good to see some new wood and hardware options (that weren't available to me when I placed my order back in February). Can't wait to see pics of some custom Cirrii posted here on TB!

:hyper:

7. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i wonder if Peavey will ever do a Buckeye Burl top?...

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, I caught that thread.

Sucks you couldnt get that bass, but I hear those MTDs rip so Im sure you'll be thrilled with it.

9. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    uh-oh, I feel some GAS coming on.

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    !!!!!!!! Damn !!!!!

I paid $800 for (about) the same bass (Pau Ferro Fingerboard isn't an option)

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Cirrus, but for $2,000 + I'd be callin Chris Stambaugh.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Nice! Mine came to $2600.00 :eek:

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    2100. Not bad.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats not the actual sale price unless Peavey changed their pricing policies lately.

14. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    1: Select a Model 6-string $2,099.99
    2: Select a Body Wood Mahogony $120.00
    3: Select a Top Wood Redwood $200.00
    4: Select a Color Hand-rubbed oil finish $30.00
    5: Select a Fingerboard Ebony $100.00
    6: Select a Fret Option Fretted $0.00
    7: Select an Inlay Mother of pearl dots $0.00
    8: Select Hardware Black $0.00
    9: Electronics 3-Band EQ with Variable Mid-Range Control $0.00
    U.S. Suggested Retail: $2,549.99

:bawl:

But it looks so nice!

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Here's mine. It has a birdseye maple neck and board. I guess the neck is a seperate image

16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I must say that building my own Cirrus was pretty fun. If my positive experience with the lower level Fury bass is any indication, the Cirrus must be a godly bass. Probably not my first choice if I'm spending that many greenbacks, but I'd try one.

My specs:

Oh Lajoie- I thought I'd check out Stambaugh's website since you mentioned him...hot damn, I love the body shapes of his basses. Kinda like a cross between a Warwick Corvette and my Fairlane.

17. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Cool! Here's my spec....

[​IMG]

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, my tigereye quilt top listed for $2899, but I got it for a lot less than that. Those are list prices.

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, based on my custom order quote numbers, I'd say that you could do well to check with your dealer rather than take these figures at face value. ;)

20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Maybe I'm picking nits here, but I'm not thrilled with their pricing scheme - it's just a little deceptive.

For example, I started with a 5-string, MSRP $1900 (rounding the penny). But the body woods run from +$80 to +$120 - there's obviously no "no body wood" choice, so it's not an option - so they really should have called the list price $1980 and the body wood choices +$0 to +$40. But it did get me past the first page, didn't it?
    Next is the top wood. Choices are +$200 to +$540, and again no "no top wood" available. So actually, $200 should have been added to the list, with options of +$0 to +$340 available. And this means that the actual base price is now $2180.
    Next, finishes are from +$30 to +$75, so let's change those to +$0 to +$45 and raise the base by $30 to $2210.
    Next, fingerboards (can't live without one of those, can we?) are from +$50 to +$250, so let's change those to +$0 to +$200 and raise the base by $50 to $2260.
    Frets/fretless? Finally, they got it right. +$0 to +$75.
    Inlays, hardware, EQ: likewise.

So, in the end the base brice is actually $2259.99, but they've manipulated pricing a bit, due to $360 of mandatory adders, to make it seem at first that the base price is comfortably under $2000 ($1899.99).

Also, if they're offering opaque finishes, I think they should offer a "no top wood" option.