1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cirrus DGCF: American vs. Import

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 10, 2019.

1. American (top)

21 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Import (bottom)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Can’t tell which is better

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  4. Keep the Sire

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Find Ken Smith or Sadowsky Modern

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I am thinking of trading in my V7 for an import Cirrus for that Ken Smith, humbuckers close the bridge sound. It seems that I never find a Cirrus five, so this will be a four that I tune to DGCF. Because of the 35” scale, a detuned Cirrus bass does not sound or feel floppy. On top is an old American Cirrus that I sold a few years ago for my old DJ5 and below is the import I may soon pick up. How do they compare tonally? They do not match exactly in terms of wood, and the American was recorded in a much larger, echo prone room.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    packhowitzer likes this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

One other option, and the cheapest, is to buy back my Forum V. It has more scoop than a Cirrus or Ken Smith, but it is close and it is a five with a 35” scale. The downside is 16.5mm spacing at the bridge.

packhowitzer likes this.
  3. The one in the top video sounds fantastic - I dig that tone!!! And... the natural reverb in that room was cool, when just listening to bass. The same acoustics would be bad if there was a whole band playing.

Hold out for a wide Cirrus 5 that sounds like the top one. Patience, my friend!! Your clips make me smile... thanks for sharing them, Anthony <c:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Lance Bunyon and AudioTaper like this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have never heard of a wide spaced Cirrus five or six. It is probably 17mm at the bridge. I would be more interested in one more beat up that was $850-$900.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Chuck M likes this.
  6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    hard to tell really, especially from a couple cell phone videos. They both seem to have the signature growl to me.

the American ones were prettier, I'd still go that route just for the extra eye candy.

BrentSimons and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Pretty sure the original Cirruses were wide. I can't see me buying mine if it was 17mm.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Did you have a five or six, Brad?

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Funny... I'm not sure. It had a redwood top but that's about all I can remember about it... besides sounding kind of Smith-ish.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Checked old posts... it was a five.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was wondering because the Cirrus five is like a Stingray five with fairly close spacing, but a thick front to back profile. For whatever reason, the thicker front to back can make narrower spacing easier for me to play.

Also, the 17mm spacing might be why you let it go.;)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    If it was a static 17mm I wouldn't have bought it.

Pretty sure mine had an adjustable bridge and was setup like my Zon fretless 5. I didn't sell it over spacing, I had other basses I preferred over it. Like a Smith, the top end when slapping grew tiresome for me. Still a nice bass.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Theres a Cirrus BXP at Guitar Center right now for $600. They can transfer between stores if you 'buy it first', and you can return it for a full refund if you dont like it.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Cirrus-BXP-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

I'm waiting for a nice USA Cirrus 4 to go with my nice USA Cirrus 5
    Screenshot_20190811-083442_Gallery.

Edit: All this Cirrus talk made me realize I didnt have a good picture of mine on my phone. So I took it outside for some natural sunlight pictures.
    20190811_145503.
    20190811_145644.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a great deal. If it is around on Friday, I may go to GC and order it.

AudioTaper likes this.
  15. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    tindrum likes this.
  16. Dr. Anthony Cheese, what are your thoughts on the TL 5?

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The original TL-5 with Super Ferrite pickups and 18mm spacing is a great bass. It sounds like a neck through Jazz Bass.

18. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I don't know you that well, Doc, but I think I've read enough of your posts to gauge that you'll regret parting with the V7........and while I do get you are looking for that Ken Smith-ish tonality inherent in Cirrus basses, especially at the bridge, remember that the Sire preamp is an incredibly flexible pallette.....I think you should try spending some time with it, especially use of the sweepable mid and master tone controls, and it's possible you may be able to dial in a reasonable facsimile with the bridge pickup, and I can't say that about a lot of basses...... good luck

wmmj likes this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Remember that I have another active Jazz that is actually nicer than my V7, my Carvin SB5000. I will also pick up an American Geddy around Christmas too.

wmmj and AudioTaper like this.
  20. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    i didnt know you had that. I used to own a BB75 and that pre wasnt as flexible as the Sire pre. Maybe yours is different.
    American Geddy is a great versatile bass but still doesn't have the flexibility of the Sire preamp to attempt the above

Sounds to me like you just want a Cirrus.....and, as a Cirrus owner, don't let me stop you....I was just suggesting a cost-friendly alternative based on the information provided. Im also a V7 owner and I'm familiar with just how widely Swiss Army flexible that preamp is....once again, good luck

wmmj and Dr. Cheese like this.