Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus EQ knob fell off brand new bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian_Currie, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Hi Cirrus owners,

Last night I noticed that one of the 5 plastic knobs fell off.

I went to put it back on, but it just sits loosely on top - there's no traction, the knob will rotate on top of the actual metal part without turning the metal (or adjusting the EQ). It also will simply fall right off if the bass tilts.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how the plastic top is supposed to afix to the metal part? I'm wondering if I should glue it back on...

Thanks for any help.
    Ian

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Dude...! Allen wrench! You got two of those with your bass, I think you can guess which one to use... ;)

3. Yep, the smaller Allen wrench should help out with this problem.

I've had to re-tighten a couple of the knobs on my Bubinga Cirrus 5 since I got it in December. Never had one fall off; I'll notice it starting to wobble on the post when I go to change a setting and I'll pull out the wrench right then and tighten it up. Anyone else see this on a regular basis with their Cirrus?

4. Hey, Ian. I PMed you but you haven't answered yet. Where did you get your Cirrus? I've yet to find any in this area.(Ottawa)

5. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Ian,

The Cirrus knobs have allen-head set screws to attach them to the pot posts. Use the small allen wrench that was included with the bass and just tighten it up.

Hope you're enjoying the new Cirrus!

darrelpr

6. Thanks everyone.

I feel stupid. Maybe I'm getting old. I thought I examined the knob pretty closely, but I didn't see the tiny allen-wrench opening.

Phew. After wrestling with the battery plate cover for an hour yesterday (and yes, that's after taking out the screws... :)), I didn't expect such an elegant solution.

Ian

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Remove the screws and knobs (all of them. That way, none of them will act up again when you proceed with my advice). Blow everything off (and out) and make sure all of the threads are clean. Put just a drop of clear nail polish* on the threads of the screw and screw the knob back onto the bass. Repeat this procedure for each knob. Make sure the screw is snug, but don't overtighten it. Give the polish time to dry. Once it does, all your screws should stay in place, yet if you want to, you will still be able to remove them.

*Colored nail polish will work also, but in the event that some of the nail polish gooshes out, no one will notice it if it's clear. A product called Loctite works as well, but make sure you get the weakest one (blue, I think), as some of the stronger ones require heat to break their hold.