1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cirrus Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ancient Mariner, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    I also changed the strings on my Cirrus (see 55-02 post below). Used D'Addario XL nickels, and changing the strings lowered the action somewhat. But the Cirrus is awesome for low action, and I really have no problem except one - playing "C" on the E-string (8th fret) causes a buzz to happen - only place it occurs throughout the entire fretboard. I can't tell where the buzz is occuring, but I raised the saddle a little bit and that didn't seem to help much.

Do I need to make an adjustment on the truss rod? That seems to be an extreme fix for a problem like this, but...? Any suggestions?

BTW...I recently changed strings on all my basses (all new D'Addarios). Used XLs on the Cirrus, Chromes (flatwounds) on the 55-02, and half-rounds on the Millennium USA. First impressions? I absolutely LOVE the half-rounds! The XLs appear very good, and I think it's gonna be awhile until I get used to the flatwounds (my first set).

2. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    I'm not an expert, but I play one on TV.

I wish my Cirrus had a bit more string height at the nut sometimes, personally. The action is a bit too low for my tastes.

I would loosen the trus rod just a hair and see if that helps. Raising the saddle affects the higher frets (12-24) more than the lower ones I believe. I don't think it should take much to fix the buzzing.

Remember to check the intonation afterwards. ;)

P.

3. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Yeah, I came to the same conclusion .. I'll try and adjust the truss rod tonight. BTW..is the rod underneath that triangular plate that sits on top of the nut? The plate looks like it's held on by 3 very small screws, and it also looks like it's gonna be a bi*** to get off without taking off (or at least completely loosening) the strings.:scowl: Have you actually done this?

4. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas

That's it, and yes, it's a pain to take off. I basically detune the EAD strings and move them out of the way. Also, you won't need to loosen much, maybe 1/16th of a turn, if that. The neck on mine adjusts very quickly.

Oh, and don't tighten the screws on that little cover past taught *at all*... it will crack.

P

5. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Pneuma, many thanks for the input! I'll do it tonight, and I'll be real careful about the torque on those screws!

6. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Let's assume, for a moment, that adjusting the trussrod doesn't work. Here's the situation again in a nutshell:

The "E" string works just fine, except when you press on the 8th fret to play "C" - then it really buzzes. If you use supporting fingering on the string and play "C", then it's OK - only occurs when you press using a single finger. The buzzing seems to be coming from the "E" string contact with the 7th fretwire. But all the other strings (and all of the ones that were replaced) are/were just fine.

Bad string? Gremlins? Just ignore it? :confused:

7. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Hi Joshua;

I did the measure thing by pressing the 1st and 12th frets and placing a credit card in the middle area (don't have calipers - will be getting some). Anyway, the relief seems OK, and I'm now convinced that it's not the problem. The strings are BRAND NEW - the old string had no issues whatsoever. So I'm still trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Thanks, Mike

8. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ

Hey Joshua;

Understand about the clearance measurements - will check when I get home. Again, though, based on the emperical observations of last night, string clearance doesn't seem to be the issue.

The strings are not the same - the new strings are D'Addario XLs (nickel steel roundwounds) and the old ones were the Cirrus OEM steel roundwounds. The gauges of the new strings do seem lighter than the old ones, but I can't quantify by how much without looking up info on the old ones.

Thanks again for the info, Joshua. Much appreciated.

9. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    You can double check by putting the old steels back on, and checking the relief it had before. Then adjust with the new strings to match it.

A problem you might have is that the new strings don't have as much tension, and aren't pulling as much relief into the neck. Thus, it might need a wee bit of adjustment if their wasn't much to begin with.

I actually have less than one credit card of relief on my neck (as measured with a Chase mastercard ;)), and I don't get buzzing when I actually pay attention to my finger placement. That's with DRs currently.

P.

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    If I read you correctly, you are saying that the buzzing is coming from around the 7th fret while fretting at the 8th. If so, you might want to check the nut. A simple way to see if this is the problem is to loosen the E string and slip a tiny piece of paper between the string and the nut - we just want to raise the string a tiny bit in the nut. Retune and try it. If the problem goes away, or is reduced, you might consider a nut adjustment.

BTW, it's a common problem. And sometimes it's just weird. On two of my basses I get a buzz on the nutside of my fretting ONLY when playing a C10 (C on the 4th string, E on the 1st). Never a buzz anywhere else, and if I play it with Eflat on top ther's no buzz. It all has to do with sympathetic vibrations and the resonant frequency of the instrument as a whole.

11. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Hey im having a very similar problem its actually a peavey too, altho i have to say nothing quite as nice as the cirrus (but hey im learning give me a break) ive got a peavey millenium bxp. I like it and its good enough for me to learn on. Basically tho im havin the exact same problem on the 6th fret of the E string the Bflat. Although mine arent new strings, im pretty sure its not the truss as that has been done again in a shop (while stil under warranty) because i was having a lot of fret buzz, and just the other day i realised that this was there, it doesnt matter how i play the note, altho if i add support on the fret below it does eliminate the problem entirely. Im hoping for any ideas or advice please, thanks

Rik :help:

12. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Well it turns out my problem was worn strings! Yay easy fix, thanks guys :p

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

Yeah...

AM, I had a similar problem with the D string on mine. I put a piece of paper in the nut slot and it cured it. It's not the most elegant solution but it worked.