Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus made in indonesia or yamaha TRB 411

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mlunsford, Dec 17, 2005.

1. mlunsford

mlunsford Guest

May 24, 2004
    Guymon, Okla.
    If you had a choice of playing a TRB 411 or a Peavey Cirrus made in Indonesia, which would you choose?

Thanks

mlunsford

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    The one that I liked best.

Seriously.

:D

Joe.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    What Joe said. Are the Cirrus BXP's Indonesian? For some reason, I thought they were Korean.

4. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    The BXP's are made in Indonesia...and let me tell you, this bass is amazing for the price. I was stunned when I received mine, very similiar to the US Cirrus I had about 2 years ago. The fit and finish are great and the sound is very similiar to the US version.

5. I disagree, I've had the opportunity to play the same BXP every Thursday for about 6 months, and the quality isn't that great to me. Everything on it feels cheap to me, and the sound left much to be desired, but YMMV.

All IMO.....

6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Are you sure it was a Cirrus BXP neck-through bass? Not a Milennium? Becausee I will say the difference in tone on the 3 I played has been minimal...

7. + 1 I own the Cirrus 5 BXP and it kicks butt. I tryed the Milennium
    in a store and was not inpressed. I have one bass and played others for a lot more money than the Cirrus that did not sound as good. I find my self playing past the 12 th fret on it and still have a good sound. Never had one I could do that on in the past. But I listen to a band down here that there bass player has a five string Yamaha I dont know the model but it is a neck thru and also sounds out of sight so I guess it is what you like.

8. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    i love my yamaha TRBs, but i've never heard of a TRB 411.
    more info please.

9. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    oh, i guess you meant TRB4 II
    as in series 2, not 11.
    ?

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have both the US version and the Indonesian BXP. Very similar in tone without using the eq's(flat). The US version has a printed circuit board with the controls hard mounted to it, the BXP uses individual pots and an epoxied block with the circuitry in it. Mine will be replaced, as my US version's has been, with the circuitry from the US Millenium.
    The neck on the BXP is a little 'chunkier', but still comfortable for small hands. Finish on my example is superb.
    IMHO, the BXP is not built to the same level as is the US version. That said, it still is a helluva nice bass, and an exceptional value at its price point.

Kim

11. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    what is the body wood on the cirrus bxp?
    all the specs ive seen online mention exotic top woods but say nothing about the back.
    im thinking about picking one of these up.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Or perhaps he was using the vernacular word for "information", which is 411. Maybe his title is just a poorly phrased version of the question: "What's the 411 on Yamaha TRB's and Indonesian Cirri?"

13. Kevdel

Kevdel Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Maryland
    One vote for the Cirrus.

14. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Yeah, that's kinda infuriating, isn't it? I got the mahogany version. The body (wings) are solid mahogany...it's not a veneer or 'cap'. The neck is hard rock maple. The finish is a satin polyurethane, not rubbed oil like my US Cirrus. I like the rubbed oil, but my experience with Peavey's satin poly is very positive...I have one of the first Foundations (natural ash) with the satin poly on it...20 years old and still in great shape. I believe that the only one with a veneer finish is the tiger eye version, which is over an agathis body. I don't know what kind of wood the 'darkwood' is, but I assume it's solid too. The difference in weight between the tiger eye and my mahogany is substantial...the mahogany is significantly heavier...and more substantial in feel...about like my US version.
    My BXP is gorgeous. Really. I have played back to back with the US version and there IS a difference, but to a player on a budget, the BXP is a wonderful axe...and the difference in quality/sound is nowhere near what the difference in price is.

Kim

15. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    kim, very enlightening. thanks a lot for the info~
    :bassist: