Cirrus Maple/Alder Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Jun 6, 2004.

1. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I've got my eye on this combination, but am concerned with the bass being too bright.

I don't mind being able to dial in a bright tone, but I don't want the bass to sizzle even when I back of the treble.

Do you think I can dial up a warm low end with this wood combination or would a Bubinga / Walnut combo be a better way to go?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The alder should tame the highs a bit. As long as it doesn't have a maple fingerboard, it should be capable of some pretty warm tones. The bubinga/walnut would be a little darker, though.
  3. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I use a Cirrus with a Maple/Alder configuration,and no problems with low end and cutting the highs. The pre-amp is more than versatile. -Luke
  4. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    That good to know. I have an alder body 57 reissue with a maple neck and fretboard. I have no problem getting lows without being to bright.

I just didn't know if the Cirrus preamp added too much top end.

Thanks for the response.
  5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis

I just got my hands on a maple/alder Cirrus a couple of weeks ago - they are a little bright when the pre is set flat, but it is easily solve without massive adjustment on the tone knobs. A great bass - you won't regret acquiring one!
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I vote for alder/rosewood.

Does it make a difference? (Which comes first that is.)
  7. hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i have a maple cirrus 5 and trust me the 18 volt 10db + -
    controls are able to do what ever you want ! :hyper:

peavey cirrus 5
    cort carbow 5
    dean Q6
  8. blast from the past bump
  9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Holy resurrection !! 8 years later ?
    And yes.... you can get a warm tone with that wood combo.
  10. GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    With VFL pickup I don't think wood combos matter. I have the bubinga walnut 4 string and it has plenty of sizzle
    I'm joking about wood combos.......slightly
  11. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had a maple/alder Cirrus 6, sounded great--growling mids, deep lows, clear highs.
    I also owned two fretless redwood/alder Cirrus 5s, with a very nice, even tone.
    I dug the bubinga ones I've tried, while I thought the walnut was kinda meh.

I don't know why people think maple is overly bright...maybe on a Spector with EMGs.
    Maple has a good top end like swamp ash, but to my ears has more interesting mids than ash.
    The maple basses I've had--an Alembic Spoiler fretless 4, Godin 4 string, 3 Pedullas, and the Cirrus 6--sounded wonderful, well-balanced top to bottom.
    IMO the best-sounding P bass I've ever played was an 80s G&L SB-1 with MFD pickups and maple body.