1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cirrus Maple/Alder Opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Jun 6, 2004.

1. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got my eye on this combination, but am concerned with the bass being too bright.

I don't mind being able to dial in a bright tone, but I don't want the bass to sizzle even when I back of the treble.

Do you think I can dial up a warm low end with this wood combination or would a Bubinga / Walnut combo be a better way to go?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The alder should tame the highs a bit. As long as it doesn't have a maple fingerboard, it should be capable of some pretty warm tones. The bubinga/walnut would be a little darker, though.

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I use a Cirrus with a Maple/Alder configuration,and no problems with low end and cutting the highs. The pre-amp is more than versatile. -Luke

4. sincity

sincity Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That good to know. I have an alder body 57 reissue with a maple neck and fretboard. I have no problem getting lows without being to bright.

I just didn't know if the Cirrus preamp added too much top end.

Thanks for the response.

5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    +1

I just got my hands on a maple/alder Cirrus a couple of weeks ago - they are a little bright when the pre is set flat, but it is easily solve without massive adjustment on the tone knobs. A great bass - you won't regret acquiring one!
    :)

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I vote for alder/rosewood.

Rosewood/alder?

Does it make a difference? (Which comes first that is.)

7. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i have a maple cirrus 5 and trust me the 18 volt 10db + -
    controls are able to do what ever you want ! :hyper:

peavey cirrus 5
    cort carbow 5
    dean Q6

8. blast from the past bump

9. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Holy resurrection !! 8 years later ?
    And yes.... you can get a warm tone with that wood combo.

10. GOX42

GOX42

Sep 28, 2000
    rising sun indiana
    With VFL pickup I don't think wood combos matter. I have the bubinga walnut 4 string and it has plenty of sizzle
    I'm joking about wood combos.......slightly

11. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had a maple/alder Cirrus 6, sounded great--growling mids, deep lows, clear highs.
    I also owned two fretless redwood/alder Cirrus 5s, with a very nice, even tone.
    I dug the bubinga ones I've tried, while I thought the walnut was kinda meh.

I don't know why people think maple is overly bright...maybe on a Spector with EMGs.
    Maple has a good top end like swamp ash, but to my ears has more interesting mids than ash.
    The maple basses I've had--an Alembic Spoiler fretless 4, Godin 4 string, 3 Pedullas, and the Cirrus 6--sounded wonderful, well-balanced top to bottom.
    IMO the best-sounding P bass I've ever played was an 80s G&L SB-1 with MFD pickups and maple body.