1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cirrus modified?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pedulla1, Mar 14, 2008.

1. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Hi all. Has anyone ever modified a Peavey Cirrus by replacing the p/u's with Ken Smith soapbars? Did it sound closer to a Smith? Thanks for your help. I am trying to obtain a NT Smith (I have to sell my Roscoe first). I once played a Cirrus that had similar growl to NT a Smith and I am wondering if I can obtain my target sound cheaper.

(Feel free to view all PM's regarding any past transactions.)

2. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    A Cirrus already sounds as close as you can get to a Smith without being a Smith. I own a Cirrus 5 Bubinga/Walnut and am thrilled with it!!!!! Here are some clips of Cirrus basses that I think are great examples of how awesome they sound.

-Mike Hill playing a Cirrus 5 Tiger Eye:

The Cirrus, while not a Smith (what other bass is?), is one of the most underrated basses made-and I am extremely blessed to have mine!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Not a lot of people replace the pups on the Cirrus (or at least I haven't seen any posts with someone saying they have). Peavey uses unusual sized pups, so its hard to find direct replacements for them.
    +1 an the stock pups being good though. If you end up buying one, a better and cheaper mod would be to replace the pre with one from a US millennium (custom shop version for the Cirrus) with sweepable mids if it doesn't have it already.

4. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Thanks for the tips, guys. Do you think I can still drop Smith p/u's in even though the Peaveys are bigger? Would it look ugly with the smaller Smith's in there?

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    of course it would look ugly

do belly tops look good on fat chicks?

6. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    get some pickup rings made (make the fat chick with the belly top on wear a trenchcoat)

7. pedulla1

pedulla1

May 14, 2005
    NYC
    Maybe Kent Armstrong makes custom p/u's for the Cirrus. I may have to check those out.