Cirrus or Grind?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by incognito89x, Dec 10, 2003.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
  2. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    Definately a Grind. Reasons:
    1. No distinctive Cirrus inlay at 12th Fret
    2. No Graphite overlay on headstock.
    3. Control Layout Different.
    4. Never seen a "Custom" Cirrus that would negate the above items...

Best of luck...
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    There have been a few Cirri with no graphite headstock overlay (there was an artist custom one in a thread a few weeks ago), but I do think that they still had the "C" inlay at the 12th fret.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Is there any Cirrus available in oil satin finish? I thought they were all gloss.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Cirrus does come in a satin oil finish.

That is not a Cirrus.

Note the slap cutout on the treble side of the body. The Grind NTB has that, the Cirrus does not.

Note the ferrules on the back for string through body. I don't know 100% that the Grind NTB has those, but I do know that the Cirrus does not.

Those are not VFL pickups.

And as SharkB8 said, the control layout is different. That bass has either volume/volume/tone/tone or volume/blend/bass/treble. The Cirrus has a three band preamp.

I have also never seen a Cirrus without the inlay.

I don't know if this guy is trying to rip somebody off or if he made an honest mistake. That is a Vietnamese made bass that you can buy new for less than $400. I have played a couple of Grind NTBs that were very nice for the price, but they are not anywhere near as nice as a Cirrus.
  6. LA

Oct 17, 2001
  7. That's a Grind for sure! I just got one. Mine has the string thru body also. Looking at mine sitting next to me, and looking at the pic, there is no doubt.
  8. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yeah, that's what a figured. THe lack of the abalony inlay and the slap.

Damn, that's pretty sweet!

Should I buy that? Looks like a decent deal.

Or should I save up for a Cirrus. I could do either (Basically I have enough for a Cirrus too.)

Is it worth the saved money? Or should I get the Cirrus.
  9. I personally wanna check out the Grind 6ers for my future bass....:D
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Grind... I believe they were a bit skinnier on the horns than the cirrus' are.
  11. that is a Grind, definetly not a cirrus, I own a cirrus 5. the Grind is a good bass, not worth that much...but if you can find one a little cheaper it would be a good buy.
  12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    So he finally got a pic. (It's a "Grind NTB" by the way)

When this auction first posted I emailed him saying that his description sounded more like a Grind than a Cirrus. He emailed me back several times with no additional info or pix, with the annoying all caps lock on like this:

After the third email like this, I finally asked him "how a Power Seller with over 1600 feedbacks doesn't have access to a digital camera"?

I guess he got the idea.

He had another auction that sounded more like a legit Cirrus, but there was no pic there either. He may have one now.