1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cirrus or Grind?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by incognito89x, Dec 10, 2003.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
  2. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Definately a Grind. Reasons:
    1. No distinctive Cirrus inlay at 12th Fret
    2. No Graphite overlay on headstock.
    3. Control Layout Different.
    4. Never seen a "Custom" Cirrus that would negate the above items...

Best of luck...

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There have been a few Cirri with no graphite headstock overlay (there was an artist custom one in a thread a few weeks ago), but I do think that they still had the "C" inlay at the 12th fret.

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Is there any Cirrus available in oil satin finish? I thought they were all gloss.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The Cirrus does come in a satin oil finish.

That is not a Cirrus.

Note the slap cutout on the treble side of the body. The Grind NTB has that, the Cirrus does not.

Note the ferrules on the back for string through body. I don't know 100% that the Grind NTB has those, but I do know that the Cirrus does not.

Those are not VFL pickups.

And as SharkB8 said, the control layout is different. That bass has either volume/volume/tone/tone or volume/blend/bass/treble. The Cirrus has a three band preamp.

I have also never seen a Cirrus without the inlay.

I don't know if this guy is trying to rip somebody off or if he made an honest mistake. That is a Vietnamese made bass that you can buy new for less than $400. I have played a couple of Grind NTBs that were very nice for the price, but they are not anywhere near as nice as a Cirrus.

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
  7. That's a Grind for sure! I just got one. Mine has the string thru body also. Looking at mine sitting next to me, and looking at the pic, there is no doubt.

8. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yeah, that's what a figured. THe lack of the abalony inlay and the slap.

Damn, that's pretty sweet!

Should I buy that? Looks like a decent deal.

Or should I save up for a Cirrus. I could do either (Basically I have enough for a Cirrus too.)

Is it worth the saved money? Or should I get the Cirrus.

9. I personally wanna check out the Grind 6ers for my future bass....:D

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Grind... I believe they were a bit skinnier on the horns than the cirrus' are.

11. that is a Grind, definetly not a cirrus, I own a cirrus 5. the Grind is a good bass, not worth that much...but if you can find one a little cheaper it would be a good buy.

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    So he finally got a pic. (It's a "Grind NTB" by the way)

When this auction first posted I emailed him saying that his description sounded more like a Grind than a Cirrus. He emailed me back several times with no additional info or pix, with the annoying all caps lock on like this:

SO DO I HAVE A GRIND OR CIRRUS???

After the third email like this, I finally asked him "how a Power Seller with over 1600 feedbacks doesn't have access to a digital camera"?

I guess he got the idea.

He had another auction that sounded more like a legit Cirrus, but there was no pic there either. He may have one now.