CIRRUS OWNERS - Question about CIRRUS wood combos & their tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowFreakuency, Mar 20, 2005.

1. LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    I was wondering about the tonality differences between the different Cirrus body-wood combinations (Bubinga/Walnut, Maple/Alder, Wenge/Walnut, Redwood/Alder, & Walnut) I know certian wood combos produce warmer tones others produce bighter tones etc. If there is one, which one of these Cirrus wood combos would offer the greatest versatility of tones for anything from Pop - Country - Classic Rock - etc.
  2. the maple/alder cirrus is regularly cited as a brighter cirrus that, for example, a bubinga/walnut. i think of the walnut/walnut cirrus as being the most utilitarian (as well as the most beautiful) cirrus. but i haven't played a million of them, so maybe you can go to your local peavey dealer and try a few.

3. LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    Unfortunately I don't really have one in my area that carries the Cirrus bass but thanks for the info.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Apparently the bubinga one is the best sounding for slap...*shrug* I don't have a Cirrus (I'd love to own a sixer fretless) but if you search about 'em there's a LOT of info on the way the wood affects the tone.
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've played a few in stores, but I never knew what wood combinations they were. My bubinga/walnut rocks for just about every style, IMO. I can't give you any kind of comparison, but I couldn't be happier with what I've got.
  6. i own a bubinga, and its seems very heavey in mid tones. cuts through very well, sometime i need to eq it to get enough bass out of it.
  7. LowFreakuency

Feb 1, 2005
    Are you able to coax enough bass out of it with the EQ?
  8. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I would just go with which ever wood combo you think looks the best.

I prefer the bubinga or walnut top ones myself.
  9. yup, gotta love the 18v of juice