1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cirrus Serial Number Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vstringbassist, Aug 23, 2017.

1. vstringbassist

vstringbassist

Nov 17, 2003
    Canada
    I have 2 Cirrus 5 strings - one has a stamped serial in back of the head but the other (newer) does not have a serial number that I can see on the neck. It is a "tiger eye" with birds-eye neck - looks like a custom shop build. Does not look like the serial came off.
    My question is: Is there another location for the serial or does some builds not have one?

2. I can't answer your question, but I would throw out the option that perhaps you could box up those basses and send them to me. That would save you the worry about goofy serial numbers and such.... ;)

3. metermech

metermech SMOOVE ONE

Mar 17, 2008
    Look under the preamp plate on the back of the bass..it may be a sticker on the cover with that info.

Vic Firth likes this.
  4. Serial numbers for custom shop sometimes went on a sticker on the control cavity cover.

5. Hmm. Not taking me up on my offer... I'll defer to kodiakblair -he might know a thing or two about USA made Peaveys!

6. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    In the first period of the USA production (1998>2003) the serial number was stamped on the wood in white on the back of the headstock; in 2004, for a while, no serial number on the back of the headstock but it was only printed on a sticker attached on the external side of the electronic cover with many other informations about the bass (but this sticker often went away with the transparent film protection of the cover...); from the second part of 2004 to 2009 (custom shop era) the serial number was engraved (not simply stamped) in the wood again on the back of the headstock and also printed on the sticker attached on the external side of the electronic cover with many other informations about the bass. However in every Usa Cirrus the serial number should appear also on a little sticker attached on the internal side of both the covers...

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Also, in the mid 2000's, Peavey subcontracted out some "custom shop" instruments to a few small Luthier shops. Mike Lipe and I built roughly 50 instruments for them over several years. Most were guitars, but I remember building some Cirrus basses, including several 5-strings. So there are some oddball instruments out there. As I remember, when we finished them, they went straight to the Sales department, and then off to the artist/customer. They may never have gotten any official serial number or permanent record. There are some Peaveys out there that have my unique truss rods.

Vic Firth and kodiakblair like this.
  8. vstringbassist

vstringbassist

Nov 17, 2003
    Canada
    Thank you very much everyone for the replies! I am selling the "Tiger Eye" and wanted to show the buyer the serial. I had not checked behind the electronics cover - I will do this today.

Cheers eh!

9. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Ok Let us know if You will find it; with the serial number it is possible to say also the year of manufacture

10. vstringbassist

vstringbassist

Nov 17, 2003
    Canada
    The serial was on the inside electronics cover - manufactured in 2005 "Cirrus 5 Quilt Top".

Cheers!

Vic Firth and PazzoBasso like this.
  11. Vic Firth

Vic Firth

Sep 3, 2016
    Ok, in the CustomShop era (2005>2009) the Cirrus "Quilt-top" is the equivalent of the previous "TigerEye" Cirrus; sometimes (not always) there were some differences (for example alder body instead of mahogany body)