Cirrus settings...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chick Bass, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Chick Bass

Chick Bass

Jan 1, 2003
    Missouri USA
    Where do all you cirrus players set your on- board knobs?
    I was just curious. I found that I have my treble cut nearly all the way. The mid I backed off to about 3:00, and I boosted the bass to about 9:00.
    Sorry I cannot come up with a better road map than that :oops:
    Any way it gets rid of a lot of the brightness and gives a deeper warm tone.

Plus I play through and SWR combo so I am sure that ups the brightness a bit too.
  2. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    This was one of my favorite settings. I used it to mimic a fretless tone. I miss it.:(
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When playing fingerstyle, I leave it flat.

If I need to cut through loud guitars, I turn the mid sweep(I have the Millennium preamp) to about 700 Hz and boost the mids about halfway.

When tapping, I boost the mids halfway in the 300 Hz - 400 Hz range.

When slapping, I boost the bass about halfway and the highs just a little.

Am I the only person who plays most 2 pickup basses(except for my fretless) with both pickups on almost all the time?
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You're not alone. I very rarely ever mess with the blend on any of my basses. I get my best tones with both pickups on.
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nope. Despite having two pickups and 3-band EQ (or parametric) on almost all of my basses from the last several years, the default setting most of the time is both pickups on full and everything flat--except the J/MM Jazz, where the J is single coil and hums like crazy in most bars, so I solo the MM pickup a lot on that one when I'm gigging. I do tend to use the blend more than I use the EQ, though.

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    chick, i usually have the blend in the middle, bass boosted just a little bit, midrange almost completely cut, and treble right in the middle.

I play on SWR stuff too, and I keep the tweeter down about 8 dB and it really makes my cirrus sing nicely.

Also, embellisher, I hardly ever play with one pickup over the other, except if Im playing primus(or primus-like), and i rotate the blend knob counter-clockwise just a bit.
  7. Chick Bass

Chick Bass

Jan 1, 2003
    Missouri USA
    I just tried your settings. Interesting sound.
    I can't adjust my tweeter on the combo so I just leave it off.
    Interesting Idea about the blend staying in the middle. I ususally pan the the neck almost all the way. I thought with both pups on it had too much thump. But as I walked away from the amp I find that I liked it better there.

8. On every 2 pickup bass I've ever had, I've always had an equal blend of pickups.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another really cool thing about the Cirrus is the fact that it is more sensitive to moving your plucking hand to change the tone than any other bass I have ever owned. Most of my tone control comes from my fingers, but on the Cirrus, it is very drastic.
  10. Chick Bass

Chick Bass

Jan 1, 2003
    Missouri USA
    Another thing I have noticed is I get a lot more harmonic overtones when I am muting. Of course it is a new bass. And I REALLY need to work on my muting technique also.
    It just stands out more on this bass. Rolling off the mids and the highs helped.
    The Ibanez EGD has such a dark tone to it that I didn't have to worry about it as much.
    I have only been playing about 3 years/ Self taught.
    I need to find a good teacher and take a few lessons.

I play for the Lord too :)

CB <><
  11. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    CB, I find that the settings I use are perfect for any type of music I want to play. Like embellisher said, it greatly depends on where you position your hands. For slapping, I slap with my thumb on the 23rd fret... for rock, i play right over the neck puckup, and for jazz i play right where the neck ends. For soloing and other sounds I usually play over the bridge pup.

I always thought that turning the bridge pup all the way on made the bass have a kind of an old-radio sound to it. Does that make sense to anybody?