Cirrus sound clip... Ping!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, May 8, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm still waiting for word on progress of my custom Cirrus, so this is the old alder/maple/pau ferro 4 banger. I'm posting the clip here instead of in 'recordings' because I think it shows off the 'pingy' quality of Cirri that a number of us (including me) have a love/hate relationship with...

Confessions of a Wanker

2. sounds great... this makes me want to get a decent amp so i can hear the full potential of my millennium and how it stacks up against the cirrus (i bought it after i sold my bassman 400 ;/)
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    sounds great, man! very cool...
  4. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    :bassist: Sounds Funky ;)
  5. This is just a 4 ? Sounds beaUtiful.
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    So why does it keeping crashing my browser?

7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    DOOD OMG U SUX!!!!111111111
    ... Just kidding... :p
    That's a great clip man. I've played a few cirruses and love'em. Also, you got some nice chops ;)
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Pretty cool song, good showcase of the sound of a Cirrus.

I like the bright tone by the way, next bass will either be a Jazz or a Cirrus because neither sound anything like my Corvette.
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the positive feedback, everybody! :D

I have times where I think that the pingy-ness is the achilles heel of an otherwise fantastic bass, and times where I think that I wouldn't want to change a thing about the sound. To me, the tones on this clip kinda embody both.

Mr. Quack: It is "just" a four - I guess I should point out that the end part is overdubbed - lest someone think I'm doing both parts simultaneously, the way some many-stringers (and loopers of all persuasions) can and do. ;)

Abark: Yeah, this one does have a bright tone. I have a walnut-bodied one on the way that I am hoping will sound a bit 'woodier' - at least more so than my current Cirri.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The two Cirri I've played (a Claro 4 and a Claro 6) both were bright like that with plenty of smoothness and low end.

I am not a low bass junky, I would rather have clear, full bass (like your clip) over thumpy, house shaking bass

The reasoning for either a Jazz or Cirrus is

Corvette - Warwick sound with a huge spike in the mids
    Jazz- Vintage sound,
    Cirrus - Modern, bright sound with the only set of active electronics I have ever liked, plenty of tones in there.

Your custom sounds like it will be great, by the way. Hope you get it soon.
  11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Great clip SD, as usual !!! (even better than Wankfunk)

I gotta admit that when I read the thread title, I supposed you´d already received your custom.

So, once you receive it, you´d better write a full review of it, or otherwise, we won´t believe you, and we´ll go to your place to test it :D

(I´d pay the beers)
  12. great clip. it makes me want a cirrus that much more.
  13. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Nice SD! I love my Cirrus to death,I find the tone I'm looking for everytime. -Luke
  14. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I was inches away from picking up a Bubinga Cirrus but couldn't scrape up the cash when the time came... but man the sound of it still stirs the blood in my veins, especially when played by someone who really knows what they're doing. Tremendous song, tremendous tone, you really have something on your hands there Donkey, I was floored man, just incredible. Everytime I listen to other people's soundclips I'm reminded of just how much I suck.
  15. Amazing sound clip!!!! incredible TONE!!! very very very nice playing!!!! Now I'm fully confident about these basses!!!
  16. Damn, son!! Go on with your bad self. That is funky as hell! :bassist:
  17. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow - thanks for all the compliments on the clip!!! :hyper:

FWIW, that was an evening's worth of trial-and-error, "composed" as it were, as I went, with plenty of retakes and punch-ins, so it respresents something far short of "all natural, no preservatives" playing!!!

Now, back to eagerly awaiting word on progress of my new Cirrus...
  18. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Dude you rock!! I wish I could slap like that :bawl:
  19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a similar thing with my Bubinga Cirrus a while back, but decided it was a high mid peak centered mainly around an A... especially if I thumped an open A with my thumb right over the 24th fret. However, it seemed to make a big diff if I moved my right hand position back a little. Like you said, tho, just every once in a while... most of the time I never notice anything... very subtle.

With my current Cirii, both Maple now, I don't really notice it so much, but I do have a sweep mid preamp on the way, 'cause I'm pretty sure after playin' a Tiger Eye that the key is a touch of mid EQ notch at the right freq.

All that said, however, I'm really nitpicking here, 'cause as a general rule, I can't get enough of the Cirrus' tone. I simply can not get a bad sound out of it. If I didn't have some other nice gear, I'd be playing them all the time and loving every minute.
  20. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds a lot like my Sterling.