Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus today...what tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, May 22, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I want to know from you expert players out there who have bought, sold and played multiple basses, whether there is an even better bass out there for the money (or just a little more) than the Cirrus 5? This would have to be under $1500 used and possess similar attributes as does the Cirrus. In other words, is there another step just above the Cirrus price range that is worth pursuing? I throw this out for ideas, although I am pretty satisfied right now.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    At that level, "Better" is subjective.

Since you want something Cirrus-like, I guess bolt-ons are out of the question. That rules out Moduli, Pulcinellas and Laklands, which are not necessarily better anyway.

Maybe you can get a Carvin and upgrade the electonics. Maybe.

I think it's time for you to give Dave Pushic a call...

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'd keep my eye out for Brubakers, I'd put mine up against anything made. Seriously. Freakish deals like my F Bass 5 can happen too. There are some nice Zons available (above the Sonus Standard). Roscoes can be found for under $1500 along with Laklands, Fender Jazzes, Hanewinckels, Alembics, Warriors, Modulus, Spector... the list goes on. There are even some MTDs and the like that pop up for under $2k sometimes.

Here's the trick: be ready. When a crazy deal comes along there's no time to waste. That doesn't mean don't do the research before hand or absolutely know what you're dealing with. Take the Roscoe 7 I just got. I know the market, I knew what I was willing to pay and fortunately I didn't have to go that high. The F Bass had a Buy It Now of $1600... for me that was a no-brainer but if I wasn't ready... poof!

The Cirrus can still hang with much more expensive basses.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Brad: Well done "King of Great Deals"..... Well done..:p

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Until about a year ago I had trouble walking into a music store, playing a Cirrus or a Thumb and NOT walking out with a hole in my credit card. Now I can play 'em, love 'em, and leave 'em. Why? Hanewinckel.

As much as I love Cirrus and Thumb basses, I don't need one now because my Hanewinckel has turned out to be one of the best finds I've come across. I still occasionally see them pop up on Bass Gear or Bass Alone in the $1,300 :eek: to $1,800 range. That's when I REALLY have to hide my credit cards.

My fixation with Alembics, particularly Series I & II and Signature models is well documented on this and other newsgroups. My Hanewinckel will not displace my beloved Alembics, but if I had never heard of Alembic, I'd be more than satisfied with my Hanewinckel as my main bass. I'm in the sweet position of having my cake and eating it, too.

Peace,

James

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Hey Rick,

I have to agree with BigWheel...At that level, "Better" is subjective.

If you happen to pick up another bass, play it and it blows you away, then that's one to consider. But if you're happy with your Cirrus, why is it an issue?

Peace,

- Frank.

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    This is not a case of GAS, but of reading of the Zons, the MTDs, the Roscoes, the Laklands, the new Fenders, the Hanewinckels, the Elricks, even the DPs. Should I be eyeing the used market for one of these to improve on what I have, or is there not enough marked improvement to be gained? I have also to date yet to experience a guitar with Barts. That also lingers in the back of my mind. My satisfaction with the Cirrus is with the basic stock sound and with it's great feel. My one beef is the weight. So there's some clarification for you all.

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    My Cirrus Redwood/Alder fiver doesn't feel all that heavy to me. In fact, I saw a flamed maple five a few weeks ago and was surprised at how light it felt (felt lighter than my Redwood). I wonder if the Bubinga/Walnut is significantly heavier?

- Frank.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I think so. It's mostly walnut, which is probably heavier than alder.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The lighter woods Cirruses do seem to be lighter in weight... my Maple Cirrus 5 was very comfortable.

My approach is probably not the norm. I love great sounding and playing basses, in a wide price range. I've also been lucky enough to find some examples of luthiers work at the top of their game. I look at those basses as being the best at what they are and I appreciate them for that alone. Fortunately I get to keep more than one bass.

Some people aren't in that position and might have to pick "the one". I'd have a tough time doing that. This is all subjective, there are basses I love that people dislike and vice versa. There are a ton of choices out there and unfortunately there's no easy way to narrow them down, you need to actually play the basses (in general) to get a feel. I know people who won't buy a bass online for this very reason. Not me. I'll take a chance based on reputation if I haven't seen a bass in the flesh. Over the years I've seen most in the flesh so this isn't much of an issue for me.

If there's an approval period and you have the funds, I say if it's not available locally, go for it. IMO it's worth the shipping costs if it's something I really want to check out and who knows... it could be the "one".

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Rick, I love my Cirrus 6. But if I were forced to choose between it and my Zon Sonus Custom, I would pick the Zon in a heartbeat. The only thing on the Cirrus beats the Zon is the B string. My 6 has one of the best B's I have ever played. Only a Roscoe or a Modulus Quantum have a better one, among the basses that I have played. The Zon ranks above it in tone, playability, flexibility, fit and finish, and also weighs about a pound less.

If the Cirrus were fretless, it would be a little tougher call, but the Zon would still win.

I say keep the Cirrus, save some money up, and watch for a killer deal on a used fill_in_the_blank.

Unless forced to by financial hardship, I will never sell my Cirrus. But if forced to choose, I would keep the Zon.

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Wise advice all. I'll watch and wait.
    Jeff--I agree on the B string. Can't imagine any better.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You should hear my Roscoe. Amazing lows.

14. embellisher

I gave Roscoe's B strings props in my post.;)

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I know... I was just messing with Rick;).

If there is one thing that's been consistent with the Roscoes I've owned or played it was the ridiculously massive and tight B strings.

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I thought the same thing at one time.;) Then I got to try my first Quantum 5. Now I own one.:) Best B I have ever played.

I know Jeff already mentioned them, but the B is so great I have to repeat what has already been said.

17. I have the same, er, problem. Since I've owned my Cirri, any other bass I play in a music store seems to suck. I'll die owning my Cirrus.

18. embellisher

:DVader voice on

Obi Wan once thought as you do. You do not understand the Power of the Dark Side!

19. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I really love the B on the Zon Sonus5Special :p

20. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    While we are on the subject, not wanting to start another thread, Big Wheel has suggested DP. I looked at his stuff and know he does good work and I can get the Barts, on-off switch, and lighter wood. However, when I see what I already have and am happy with, I wonder if the DP will be that much better.