cirrus truss rod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattyN, Jun 6, 2003.

1. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    hey cirrus owners.

i got a new cirrus 4 on ebay recently (which i love) but i have just noticed that the truss nut appears to be stripped. i'm slightly panicked.

a few oddities:

1. the cirrus manual which came w/ the bass has a section on a the truss rod (or torsion rod as they call it) with i diagram pointing at the place where the neck attaches to the body ??? while i have seen guitars with the truss nut in this location i see no sign of such a compartment on this bass. i am trying to adjust under the plastic cover at the base of the headstock. am i just in the wrong place?

2. i contacted the store that sold it to me (thru ebay) and they emailed me back saying:

"Peavey has a different style adjustment head than most guitars. Instead of using an allen wrench that fits inside the end of the truss rod, Peavey uses a wrench that fits over the outside of a nut at the end of the trus rod."

i do not really understand what they're trying to say and my instincts tell me they're just trying to cover their tracks, so to speak. can anyone confirm/elaborate upon their statement?

btw - i have posted another thread in "Setup" about this (with different questions). hope this is kosher... i'm kind of freaked out:
  2. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    ok, i've had some time to do some research and am a bit calmer now... i'm pretty sure the rod is in good shape.

one question: is the nut on the cirrus truss rod removable?
  3. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Yes, the nut easily unscrews and Peavey tech support is great. They'll probablly send you a new one for free if it is stripped. They replaced the one on my Cirrus 6 without charge and it was easy to do.
  4. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    thank you undercover brotha! you made my day. :bassist: