Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cirrus truss rod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattyN, Jun 6, 2003.

1. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    hey cirrus owners.

i got a new cirrus 4 on ebay recently (which i love) but i have just noticed that the truss nut appears to be stripped. i'm slightly panicked.

a few oddities:

1. the cirrus manual which came w/ the bass has a section on a the truss rod (or torsion rod as they call it) with i diagram pointing at the place where the neck attaches to the body ??? while i have seen guitars with the truss nut in this location i see no sign of such a compartment on this bass. i am trying to adjust under the plastic cover at the base of the headstock. am i just in the wrong place?

2. i contacted the store that sold it to me (thru ebay) and they emailed me back saying:

"Peavey has a different style adjustment head than most guitars. Instead of using an allen wrench that fits inside the end of the truss rod, Peavey uses a wrench that fits over the outside of a nut at the end of the trus rod."

i do not really understand what they're trying to say and my instincts tell me they're just trying to cover their tracks, so to speak. can anyone confirm/elaborate upon their statement?

btw - i have posted another thread in "Setup" about this (with different questions). hope this is kosher... i'm kind of freaked out:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88089

2. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    ok, i've had some time to do some research and am a bit calmer now... i'm pretty sure the rod is in good shape.

one question: is the nut on the cirrus truss rod removable?

3. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Yes, the nut easily unscrews and Peavey tech support is great. They'll probablly send you a new one for free if it is stripped. They replaced the one on my Cirrus 6 without charge and it was easy to do.

4. MattyN

MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    thank you undercover brotha! you made my day. :bassist: