Cirrus users

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sundogue, May 4, 2004.

1. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've had my Cirrus for a few years now and I'm wondering about those of you who also have Cirruses (Cirri) do you feel about yours now?

Mine is so damn comfortable, sounds so awesome and feels so easy to play, that no matter how many basses I've tried in the past year or so, none of them feel right to me.

I've tried a lot of different basses, not because I really want a different one...I'm just hanging out at a store and killing time. It just seems to me that they're all too heavy, or too unbalanced, or they are just plain too cumbersome to play smoothly.

Of course, I know that the ones off the rack are not set up the way I like them. I like a very low action and most off the shelf are set up too high. I'm taking all of that into consideration. But still, my Cirrus is the only one that feels right (that's why I bought it) to me.

Anyone else feel that way? Am I the only one who plays other basses and just can't find one that measure's up to your current bass? Obviously, if I went the custom, boutique route that some take, I could probably find one that matches how I feel about my Cirrus. But other high end, off the shelf basses just don't cut it for me.
  2. I can't agree more. I've owned my cirrus for a couple of years now, and it's hard to put down. The tone is incredible and it is one of the most comfortable basses to play. :bassist:
  3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I just love the bass (check my review of the Cirrus Maple 4).
    The Cirrus Club is increasing rapidly here at TB.

BTW, if you want to know a boutique custom bass, wait
    till Secret Donkey receives his custom Cirrus. :D
  4. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Nothing but thumbs up here! -Luke
  5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Diddo, I've loved my bass since 1998. It sounds great and I never get tired of the different sounds I can get out of it. Pretty, too.
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I love how there was a Cirrus with a slick top and Aguilar Pre here with HSC for $900... i loved that bass. It sold, and then about a month later i'm looking for a good quality fiver in this range... I wish that bass were mine. Action was low, and taut. Sounded amazing.
  7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    While knocking around a music store, killing time, in the late 90s I picked up a Cirrus 6.

After playing it for a while I remember thinking: "Not only is this the best playing, sounding 6 I've ever's also one of the best sounding, playing basses I've ever tried period!.

I had no need for a 6 so I put it out of my mind. Then, a couple of years back someone offer me a deal I couldn't refuse on a Cirrus 6. I had no intention of using this bass for live gigs, but after a few weeks I found myself selling all my Spectors (which I still find to be asthetically, the most beautiful of basses..but the writing was quickly "on the wall").

Two years later a Cirrus 4 has joined the ranks, with an unlined fretless 5 soon to follow.

I couldn't be happier.
  8. how many of you guys have tried a usa millennium? id be interested in hearing some comparisons... ive only heard a few that said the millennium was more versitile, but not better or worse sounding
  9. I have had my cirrus for a year now and I love it, the sound and feel are just perfect for me. I agree that I find my currus much better feeling than any of the stuff you will find at Guitar Center or some place like that. but I have played a few F-basses and MTD's that measured up very nicely, just depends on what you are playing :D but the cirrus is a awesome bass, I have no plans on getting rid of mine any time soon.
  10. Lulu

Lulu Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    I'm a owner of a Cirrus 5 st since 2000, and it's my favorite bass since 25 years, but ... now I have a JPbass Plume, and this one is better than my Peavey. But I have NO intention to sell my Cirrus, great great bass, and it's still a great pleasure to play with it, as my third bass, an Alembic Essence, completly different.
    Have a nice day
  11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Bought a Tiger Eye, Maple board, Millennium 4 Plus shortly after the Cirrus 6. Although it was beautiful to look at, I didn't like it nearly as much as the Cirrus in either tone or feel. The Cirrus 4 I got later is far superior in my opinion.
  12. .

thats pretty, i love my millennium
  13. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    I love my Cirrus ...
    Only one prob for me: little string spacing.
    I've sold it for this reason. :bawl:
    I Peavey will make a larger string spacing I will buy it.
  14. I once owned a Bubinga/Walnut 4-string, but I sold it mostly because I have a custom bass on the way which will also be active (with EMG electronics). The bass played great and had a very modern sound. I had a hard time getting a more classic tone when I wanted it, but that may not be a problem for some. The Bubinga on mine was also very nicely figured. They're great basses.
  15. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That is one of the reasons I love my Cirrus. I have a 5 string Bubinga and it feels easier to play than any 4 string I've played.

I have yet to find a bass that is more versatile then the Cirrus. I played in a band where I needed a very bright, clanky sound ala Chris Squire and it was perfect. I now play in a band where I need an almost upright kind of tone and it's perfect for that as well. With the preamp and low, mid and high active EQ it's got awesome sound shaping capabilities.

I just haven't found another bass that just feels right to me. This is the only bass I've ever played that feels like an extension of me, rather some plank hanging on me. It is just effortless to play.

Thanks for the replies.
  16. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I have an American Millennium 5. I tried the Cirrus as well but I preferred the tone of the Millennium. A bit more of a traditional sound with similarly outstanding electronics and workmanship. I also like colors better than a wood finish (!) and I like the feel of a bolt-on a bit better. Superb B string, much better than some more popular basses I auditioned. Sorry no pic: it's candy apple red with matching headstock and a birdseye maple neck and board. It's a keeper! :)
  17. Those are also great basses! I was very impressed with the one I tried.
  18. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Bought my Cirrus 4-string brand new from a music store in Dayton, Ohio in '99.

Probably the best music purchase I have ever made. Extremely comfortable to play with a great tone.
  19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This is one of my only niggles with my Cirrus 6. I too would prefer wider (at least 19mm) string spacing (for fast/intricate slap work). If it had it I may not have acquired a 4 also.

The other thing is I would prefer string to string spacing at the nut rather than center to center. Most higher end manufacturers now use the string to string method. I wish Peavey would wake up and get on board.
  20. i cannot get as comfortable on a millenium as i can on a cirrus. i love the cirrus. of course, i own neither, but i'm trying to remedy that!