Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus vs. Afterburner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IronSpatula, Mar 10, 2005.

Cirrus or Afterburner?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2005.
  1. Cirrus

71 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. Afterburner

55 vote(s)
    43.7%
  1. The Peavey Cirrus and Dingwall Afterburner seem to be among this board's favorites in the <$2000 range, but I've never really seen them compared head to head. How do they compare to each other and what are the respective pros and cons of each?

My current main bass is a Cirrus Tiger Eye 6 and I absolutely love it: its tone, balance, and playability are about the best I've experienced. However, there have been a couple of times when I've wanted to be able to flick a lever and tune down to a low A. Also, the prospect of MORE even response and MORE B string definition than what I already have is... intriguing.

If I did get an afterburner would I still have any use for the Cirrus? And Since I already have a good bass, should I just save up more money and get a Z-series if I do decide to get a Dingwall?

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive never played an Afterburner, so I have to go with the Cirrus on this one.

Besides that, I really really dig the tone and playability of the Cirrus. Best production line bass on the market IMO.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well I'll counter with the Dingwall. I think they are each their own animal, but I prefer my AB to just about anything else I've played. Maybe Embellisher can comment since he owns a cirrus tiger eye 6, and has played my Dingwall.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    DINGWALL DINGWALL DINGWALL DINGWALL DINGWALL!!!!!!!!!!

Peavey vs. Dingwall?

Kia vs. Mercedes!

DUDE!!!CHECK THE RESALE VALUE!!THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING!!

5. I have played a few Dingwalls and they were really great , however I prefer the Cirrus as it satisfies all the cravings us bassists have as far as I'm concerned. It's a killer.

Here's a sloppy demo tune I just recorded with my Cirrus 5 direct into a lousy SB Audigy 2 soundcard.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3U.m3u?ID=2190078&q=Hi

Cheers,
    Bassjones

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a tigereye 6.

Dingwalls are awesome.

If forced to choose between my Cirrus and an Afterburner, I would pick my Cirrus, barely.

If forced to choose between my Cirrus and an Afterburner II, I would pick the Afterburner II.

I love my Cirrus. They don't get the respect they deserve, juts because it says Peavey on the headstock.

I don't like the Afterburner more than my Cirrus. But I do like the Afterburner II more.

And this is a tigereye/Afterburner comparison only. If I had one of the 'regular' Cirrus models, with the less expensive tuners, pau ferro fingerboard and plastic knobs, I would take either Afterburner over it.

7. embellisher

Umm... NO. NOT Kia vs. Mercedes. More like Lexus vs. Mercedes. Both are great, just different.

8. Thx IronSpatula, my Cirrus 5 is walnut with a wenge top. It seems to give a very tight, percussive response to the overall tone. I can't stop slappin' the damn thing.

Bassjones

9. Afterburner II's are the active version, correct?

10. embellisher

Afterburner II has the Aguilar OBP1, active/passive switch, bubinga neck, mahogany body with bubinga top.

In theory, the wood formula should give the bass more growl. IME, it does. And I am a sucker for natural hardwoods too.

I prefer active basses, although I do have a few passives.

I also like an active/passive switch, so that I have a true passive option, and a backup in case the battery dies or the preamp fries.

Dingwall has the most elegant battery cover I have seen, too.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    O.K. fine...Lexus vs. Mercedes....

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles

You grooved the **** out of a drum track. Congrats! Nice

13. I have to agree with you on that.

14. On the Dingwall vs Cirrus, that's honestly probably a tough one. I would go with the Dingwall, but that's my brand loyalty talking. I bought my first Dingwall directly over a Cirrus. I really liked the tone of the Cirrus basses, but I was turned off by a couple of fit and finish flaws on them. Of course, we are not talking about an Afterburner in this case that I was comparing it to, we're talking about a Z2 6 string. Surprisingly at this point it wasn't a lot more than the Cirrus was (Cirrus was a peacock blue 5 string with a maple fretboard and I think it was a one off or a limited run or something... was about 6 years ago now). $2599 for the Cirrus vs $2919 for the Z2 5 string I went with(CDN $ too). Try getting a Z2 for that now.

Anyway, I really don't think you can go wrong either way. I'm sure that the Peavey QC on some of the small things has improved if anything. The two basses I tried could have just been that highly unlikely coincidence.

And I agree that the Peaveys are highly underated.

15. How long have you been playing bass? You are good.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well looks like you should pick the one that prettiest lol. Seems a pretty even split.

17. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    never played a cirrus (really really want to) but dingwalls are exceptional basses. The afterburner is probably the best passive bass ive ever heard, and the afterburner II must kill as well.

18. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I picked up a Ken Smith designs Proto-J v60j5 for just a little over $900 (with a sweet Pro-Tec case). My plans have been to go for a "boutique" bass this year, but after playing my KSD I think I may just stick with this as my #1. Passive or Active, full blast or turned down, neck or bridge, this has more than likely the best acquisition I've EVER made. It might not be best for everyone, but it plays like a dream, has great workmanship, and tone to DIE for.

If I were gonna kick out between 1-2k I'd probably just see if I couldn't get a used Smith.

19. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    If you love your Cirrus so much but want a tighter low B, save your money until you can afford a high end bass with a 36" scale or even less if it's top-notch construction. Fanned frets simply are not necessary IMO. I'm not knocking them - if you play one and must have it - go for it. But my NYBW 35.5" scale basses not only have the punchiest, growliest low B I have ever played but also the thickest-sounding high C of any bass I have played - and at 35.5". So IMO even high C strings can sound awesome - like they belong on a bass, not a guitar - on an extended scale instrument. It's more about woods, neck stiffness, and superb construction than merely scale length.

Tom H.