Cirrus vs Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Apr 21, 2004.

1. I have a Peavey Cirrus,I have talked about it here. I have had it for about a month. It is really zingy,I still have the original strings,I was thinking about selling it and getting a Lakland. What Lakland would be good for r&b and funk but not so bright that I hear my finger moving on the strings all the time ever slightly when I eq it. I would like to spend about 1000.00 dollars.
  2. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you are thinking of spending about 1k. I'd say go for a Lakland Skyline 55-02 Deluxe. I own two of them and they are great for R&B/Funk Stuff. Versatile Basses. I own a Peavey Cirrus 6 and I know what you mean about it being sort of zingy. I own all three basses because I love the old school sound (Fender/Musicman), however I'm in love with Wooten and bassist that use the more woody "Hi Fi" sound (Fodera, Spector, Warwick) just to name a few. I think your Cirrus would be great for what you are talking about, but if you want more of the fenderish/music man family...I'd go for a Lakland 55-02 Deluxe (Used) of course. If you want to buy new, you'll only be able to afford a 55-01. That has more of a Jazz Bass Vibe to it. Hope this helps. The 55-02 is worth the extra money though.
  3. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Another vote for the 55-02 but I don't believe that you necessarily have to go the deluxe route because the deluxe features are more of an cosmetic upgrade: fancy wood tops etc. Just my 002 YMMV etc
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    If you're looking to sell your Cirrus I'm in the market for one man, PM me the specs and we'll talk.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Maybe you should try different strings, setup, eq, techniques, instead of selling it after only a month. I have had my Covette for 8 months and I am still discovering new sounds. You will probably get 1/2 to 2/3 what you paid for it, tops.

The Cirrus that I played could go from deep P tone all the way to bright and clanky like you described, just work with it. I was skeptical about their value and sound before playing one, but now I know why people consider them some of the best available in the non-custom market.
  6. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agreed...I was just saying if you got a grand to spend, mind as well get one that looks nicer. But sonically, they are identical. (I believe). The Maple top may add some brightness to it...but I'm just talking out of my ass there. I don't know that for a fact.
  7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I second this highly.

You most likely have stainless strings. Maybe try some Nickelwound strings? I've heard Elixirs are good for getting rid of the "zing" but still have plenty of brightness.
  8. I have a Cirrus 6 string and that bass pumps, sounds rich and tight. You should try different strings or check your electronics.
  9. I have a maple fingerboard does that make a difference?
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    A maple fingerboard should NOT make a difference regarding you getting the "scratchy" sound when you move your fingers along the strings. That can only be attributed to MOSTLY the strings, but also somewhat the preamp settings.
  11. I don't know if you bought it new or not but I found the origonal peavey strings to be very zingy on my cirrus, then I put some neckel would D'Addaro strings on there and it gave it much more of a mellowed out tone. the other thing that I have found is to not mess much with the onboard electronics, I usually leave mine flat, sometimes I will cut the trebble or mids a little. but do most of your eqing on your amp.

if you are just not digging the vibe of the cirrus that is one thing, but you can mellow them out, they just take a little while to get used too. I found my perfect cirrus tone after about 2 months.
  12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Good advice!