Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus vs Millenium!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Mar 3, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What are the main differences between the Peavey Cirrus, and Peavey Millenium? Which one would you suggest getting?
    Thanks,

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    The main difference is that the Cirrus is neck-thru-body while the Millenium has a bolt-on neck. Also, the Cirrus has 2 soapbar pickups while the Millenium sports a MM and Jazz setup. The Millenium is closer to the classic Fender sound and feel--punchy and bright, with a sharper attack--while the Cirrus has a very even, full, sustaining tone. The Millenium also has a sweepable mid contol. When I was bass shopping 6 months ago I must have played 70 or 80 basses and I found Peavey, Music Man, G&L, and Reverend to be my favorite non-boutique basses. I must have played 10 Cirruses and 4 Millenia and all were top-quality instruments. I first bought a Cirrus 6 but traded it for a fretless Cirrus 5 a week later. Only you can decide which bass is right for you, so have fun looking around!

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to go with the Cirrus 6. The only thing is that I'd really like that mid shift, and D tuner. I heard some where that they are making the cirrus with a mid shift now, but I'm not sure if its true.
    I have a couple questions about the Cirrus 6 though, you see all the stores within a hundred miles of where I live only have 4 stringers, but I figure that a 4 would play about the same as the 6, and I really like the 4.
    -What is the string spacing like? Can you play slap on it? Also I do alot of Stu Hamm two handed tapping etc. will I still be able to do that?
    -Is the B floppy? How does the B sound?
    -How much would the 6 string cost?

^thanks for the advice.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    While shopping I tried 3 6-strings, 4 or 5 5-strings, and a couple of 4's, and they all felt great. The neck on the 6 is wide enough to have plenty of room (for my medium-size fingers) for slapping, plucking, and tapping, but the strings are close enough that you can use a pick with much dexterity.
    I would recommend that if at all possible, you play a 6 before ordering one just to make sure it's right for you. The 6 felt great when I was playing it in the store, but after a 3-hour rehearsal my left hand was in a lot of pain from having to bend my wrist to reach around the higher strings to get at the low ones. If I raised the strap to ease the left, I had to start contorting my right hand when reaching across the strings. My wrists are pretty sensitive-they have to be close to straight when I'm playing--so after a week I came to the conclusion that the 6 was just too darn big for me. I traded it for a fretless 5 and I haven't looked back since.
    I think I had the illusion that more strings=better bass; the experience made me really appreciate the sleek comfort of my 4 string StingRay. That said, I just placed an order for a 10 string Chapman Stick; if you're looking for an extended-range instrument that can be tapped and plucked you might also want to check out their NS-Stick 8-string at http://www.stick.com .
    Both Cirruses (Maple 6 and Redwood 5) have an incredible tone with a toothy woody midrange; I don't miss a sweep control at all. If you can, be sure to try out the different wood types; the Maple is full and bright, the Redwood is warm and round, the Wenge and Bubinga have a lot of Warwicky bite, and the Walnut has a more muted sound. Try several to find out which is right for you. My previous fretless-an Alembic Spoiler 4-sounded gorgeous on its own but couldn't really cut through a band. My Cirrus fretless has tons of punch and sustain; I've played clubs, rehearsals, studios, and festivals and it gave me the best sound I've ever got in each situation. And the B string is great--it sounds and feels just like the other strings, only lower, and the stock Peavey strings are really good.
    I got the 6 at Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA last August for $1329--the 5 was $1289. They gave me the best service I've ever gotten in a music store-they're friendly and knowledgeable, absolutely no pressure. They let me alone in a room filled with Ken Smith, Zon, Spector, Modulu, F Basses, Eden, SWR, and EA equipment for 2 hours without bugging me, turning me down, or trying to sell me anything. When I made the 6 for 5 swap after the official waiting period was over, Erik told me they just wanted me to be a happy customer, and he meant it. The f@#kheads at Guitar Center could learn a thing or two from the small stores that truly value their clientele!