Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus vs Reverend vs G&L Tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, May 4, 2004.

1. Which do you guys like?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    There's a rather large price difference between the G&L Tribute and the Peavey Cirrus. I'm not sure about the Reverend, but the price gap between the G&L and the Peavey is about $500 CAD, if not more.

3. Not the Tribute just the Cirrus or Reverend.

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    This is like comparing apples to oranges (to bananas, if you add the G&L.) What are you after? The Cirrus can go from old school to pretty hifi. The G&L is sort of the same, but with a much different sound. The Reverend is totally old school. All (well, I haven't played a Tribute, but own 3 G&L's) are great basses.

If you want an instant worn in feel, and nothing but old school feel, there isn't much better then a Reverend for the price. On the other hand, if you want a modern sound, go after on of the other two, probably the Cirrus. With the 3-band EQ you can scoop the mids and be slap happy all over it. The G&L sound is between the two.

Steve

5. hands down the cirrus will **** all over the other basses mentioned

6. those basses are on complete differend sides of the spectrum of basses out there. and a cirrus is going to cost you a lot more than a new reverend of G&L tribute. unless you go used. but I would consider the USA G&L stuff if you are considering the cirrus.

the cirrus is a very modern fast playing a sleek bass, the G&L's like super fenders and the reverends have a sweet vibe all of their own. I know it is hard to find reverends to play since you can only buy them direct but you should be able to find a Peavey and G&L dealer near you.

7. Lulu

Lulu Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Belgium
    Cirrus for me

8. Cirrus by a country mile. And then some.

9. If you want a great sounding passive bass with an old school retro vibe, get the Reverend (I love mine!).

If you want a modern sounding active bass, get the Cirrus.

I haven't played a Tribute, but I did play an L-2000 once. It was a very solid bass, but I didn't have much time with it.

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Definatly the Tribute. I don't like the sound of the Reverend for a reason I can't quite put my finger on, and the Cirrus just sucks. I hate soapbar pickups and Peavey and neck-thru and the woods and etc.

The Tribute won some value award from BP and certainly gets the versatility award here with the dual coil taps. That's a fantastic bass.

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    And why is that exactly? You don't like the Cirrus pickups, yet they're hot and super quiet. What's not to like about them?

Neck through? I'll give you that. Personal preference. The woods? There are a variety to choose from, so I don't get why you don't like them for the woods. You prefer plastic basses?

I can see where you might not like the Cirrus, as everyone has their own personal preferences...but the Cirrus just sucks? I have yet to hear anyone who thinks they suck, even from those that may not ever want to own one...at least until now.

Just curious.

I'd go with the Cirrus (of course I own one). I've had my eyes on the lookout for a G&L...but the ones I've played feel to "boxy", a little neck heavy, the necks are too thick for my taste and for whatever other reasons, just did not feel comfortable.

The Cirrus is extremely well balanced, which makes it feel lighter than it already is. It has a very comfortable, fast neck. The tonal capabilities are unlimited. It sounds great direct to a mixer, on it's own. They are simply gorgeous, with a wide variety of woods to choose from (a plus, not a minus in my book).

As far as I know the ONLY drawback would be that it is ONLY active...there is no passive mode. If your batteries fail, you better have spares for the preamp.

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Two of those basses are made out of that nasty, ugly wood stuff.

The Reverend is made from recycled 50s diner tables, so it's got New Patented Built In Vintage Mojo Crapola!

And the refills are not expensive.

13. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Different basses altogether. -Luke

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Definitely one of the most ignorant posts I have read in a while. I like my Zon and Nordstrand more than my Cirrus, but my Cirrus certainly doesn't suck.:rolleyes:

Like others have said in this thread, these are three very different basses. What kind of sound are you looking for? What kind of music are you playing? What kind of neck profile and string spacing doe you prefer?

15. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I'm not trying to pile on here, but having played an awful lot of basses in the last 18 years, I can tell you from my personal experience that in no way shape or form do Cirrus basses suck. You may find that they don't fit your needs or that you don't prefer their features, but suck? Come on...
    I've found them to be one of the best built, best playing, best sounding and best customer service supported basses around. I've owned basses costing three times as much that were built more poorly, didn't play as well and didn't sound as good. That's just my opinion.
    Every opinion about every bass guitar ever made has probably been discussed here in these forums but I'd like to think that we as a collective do it a little more professionally and constructively than most.
    Do a search for yourself on the Cirrus line and you'll read what the real deal is.

16. My Cirrus sucks.....my breath away everytime I play her. Looks, playability,versitility, she's got all the bass' covered!!!
    That said I do have a bit of G.A.S for a Reverend, not because my Cirrus is lacking, I just have G.A.S!!!! If I were on a budget I would definately be looking at the Tribute.

17. I think Cirrus is an awesome bass, but people should be entitled to express their opinions without having names thrown at them.

My two rupees.

18. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    The Cirrus does not suck. It's a darn good bass, at an unbelievable price for what you get. I'm sure this has been said before, but, - if the name on the headstock was something besides "Peavey" they would be incredibly popular.

I want a flamed Redwood one. Bad.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmm, I didn't see any namecalling in the above posts. Perhaps I missed it?