Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus Wood Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Sep 8, 2002.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I've read through many of the threads about the Peavey Cirrus basses and am thinking about picking one up.

I'm looking for a pretty punchy-angry-agressive throaty-sound...If that makes sense.
    (Think Wal, Kubicki, etc.)

Can someone tell me which wood would work best for that tone?

Thanks

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  3. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks for the *very* quick reply. That sound clip sounded great - I'll have to keep my eye on the 4-String w/ that combination on eBay now...

How much should a 4-string go for?
    The reserve isn't met at $700....

4. off topic but....damn thats some sweet bass work!

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Maurice Fitzgerald. Same guy that toured with Destiny's child earlier on. He rocks.

6. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I can't stop listening to that track - that nails the tone I'm looking for with this bass.

Now if I can only find one out there. The eBay one is the only I can seem to find. Anyone seen one around??

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The sound in the recording is available with every thing flat. It's the sound of the bass. The walnut/bubinga combo gives it that warmth.

I am still trying to avoid thinking about giving that bass up, but I'm not Fitzgerald.;)

8. SoulEyes

SoulEyes

Sep 1, 2002
    Hey Berklee I had a 5 string Walnut/Wenge combination. I think it was more agressive sounding than the Walnut/bubbinga one. The wenge top wood gave it alot of articulation. I sold mine cause I thought it was a bit tooo bright and agressive sounding and I wanted a bass with a warmer tone. Walnut bubinga combo's are great. Gives a balance.

9. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    The one at Bass Palace has a Paduk/Walnut combination. How would this compare to the Bubinga?

10. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    Yeah that is a sweet sounding bass. Does anybody know what the redwood/alder combination sound like?

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    To my knowledge the Cirrus isn't made with Padauk (how do you spell it anyway?) tops. It sure looks like my bubinga. My guess is that the Swami is mistaken...?

12. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I checked Peavey's website, Oysterman, and I believe you are correct - no Padauk!

Thanks for the heads up.

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
  14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I don't even think new Cirrus 5 basses are made with bubinga tops anymore. They are now all walnut. However, I don't place a lot of trust in the Peavey web site. They have never made a Cirrus out of paduak or padauk or padook, whatever, though.

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    They still make the bubinga Cirrus. The wenge version was discontinued due to to the shortage of that wood. Peavey's site has been suspect since it was redesigned. :(

16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    The bubinga/walnut and wenge/walnut models definitely have an aggressive midrange but their overall response feels a little compressed compared to the redwood and maple top versions (which have maple/purpleheart necks, pau ferro fingerboards, and alder body cores). The maple top version can get very rude depending on how you set the controls.

I'm still totally in love with my fretless Redwood 5. It always sounds warm but cutting and it records incredibly well. It even sounds fabulous through my less-than-wonderful Carvin combo. I recently noticed a small crack on the back of the neck that's a little disconcerting-glad I signed up for the extended warranty!

Playing the fretless Cirrus has made me realize I need a fretted bass of equal quality. I sold my StingRay-just couldn't get a warm tone-and though I have a cheap Godin SD-4 to tide me over, I think I'm probably gonna get a Pedulla Rapture, an F Bass or another Cirrus. I just got a raise yesterday (retroactive 2 1/2 months plus an extra bonus!) so I figure it's about time for me to do my patriotic duty by stimulating the sluggish economy...

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Their new website sucks!:mad: The Cirrus woods page, which answered all of these questions, is gone. And they don't show the Cirrus in all of the configurations you can get them in.

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    They also use to have that page where you could actually click on various body finishes for the Millennium and the body of the bass pictured would change to give you a better idea of what it would look like. I thought that was pretty cool. It's gone now as well. :( They do still have a Cirrus brochure that you can download if that's any consolation and it has a lot of information about the wood combinations.

Cirrus Brochure

19. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Preach it brother! The problem with the brochure, it doesn't reflect the new wood configs and it takes tons of time to load. This is a case of over tweaking a web page. :mad: