Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cirrus woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by worldwidepants, Feb 9, 2002.

1. I saw the peavey site but I would like to get an opinion of someone who isn't trying to sell an instrument. What are the pro's and cons of the different woods? I was thinking about getting the maple/alder in a 6 string. These are sweet basses (once you get past the peavey name)

2. Jeesh... I don't wanna rain on anyones parade... but are you sure about this?

The reason I ask is that a good friend of mine (the bassist from "Avoiding Tom") has a beautiful Peavey Cirrus. Beautiful bass, great sound, excellent build quality and nice components, but... it keeps crapping out... starts making wierd pickup sounds that the Peavey factory cannot cure... they've replaced one of the pu's twice, the other one once, and I believe the pre once... it's fixed for now, but here's the catch.

Everytime he sends it to the shop he borrows an even nicer looking and sounding Peavey Cirrus... lots of really dark koa and some other wood :confused: ... anyway, the last time he used the loaner Peavey IT CRAPPED OUT TOO! Same problem.

Anyway, sorry this is so long... I'm not trying to say Peavey is bad (second hand), but I think you should contact him by e-mail and get the straight skinny. His address is: avoidingtom@hotmail.com

FWIW... I believe he's selling his Peavey and getting a Warwick Thumb!!!

3. that is the first time I have heard anything about that. I have done my homework too. I've never heard of that. I doubt that it's a widespread problem. If need be I can throw some other pups in there and a new preamp, the bass plays like butter and sounds like heaven.

4. Cool... just thought you should know.

Good luck with your purchace and to answer your original question... the really dark koa both looks and sounds great (to me). It's warm and full, yet has enough brightness to push thru the mix.

Once again, good luck!!!

5. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    worldwidepants,

Do a search on this forum for "Cirrus". You'll find (literally) hundreds of posts regarding the Cirrus and many of these discuss the different wood combinations available.

FYI, I picked up a brand new Cirrus (redwood/alder) yesterday and absolutely love it (so far). The redwood/alder combo has a warmer tone than the walnut or wenge models. (I've not played a bubinga model.) To me, the redwood combo sounds a little more like my p-bass. But, keep in mind that the Cirrus electronics are VERY versatile and regardless of the wood combo you end up with, you'll more than likely be able to dial in any sound you're looking for. (By the way, your post is the first I've seen discussing problems with the Peavel VFL pups and electronics.)

Attached is a pic of my redwood 5-string.

Cheers,
    darrelpr

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's the first that I heard of any problems also. I've got a bubinga/walnut 5 Jake.

7. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I tried several different woods on Cirri, and liked the alder with redwood top by far the best. Others I tried included a wenge/walnut, and what I think was walnut/walnut, and one or two others I don't remember at all

But these were tried at different stores through different amps. Not really an exact comparison. (Alder/redwood that I liked was played through an SWR Goliath Junior 2x10 and SWR Son of Bertha 1x15, a setup that I love. The others were played on a Peavey combo with a single 15" speaker, which is about my least favorite setup.)

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm envious of you mgood! :) I was unable to even find a Cirrus in a local store before deciding to buy. If I have any regrets at all, it's the fact that I didn't get to try some of the other wood combinations before making my decision. My Cirrus has been an impressive bass that is a joy to own. I just ask myself sometimes, "What do the wenge/walnut, maple/alder, redwood alder sound like?" You see, I still haven't had the opportunity to try any of those.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmm, I have never had any problems with my Cirrus, and I have owned it for over 2 years and have gigged or rehearsed with it every weekend, and have played it several hours a week just about every week since I bought it new. I know a couple other people personally who have them around my area, and several people on here, and have never heard of anyone having a problem with one. So I am guessing that your friend must be having some real bad luck or something?:confused:

But, this topic has also been covered several times before, so do a search. And also, there is a section of Peavey's website that explains what wood combination produces what tones the best. Check it out.

The maple/alder is what I own. It got the tones I wanted better than any of the others (and I have tried all of them). My best advice to you would be to go and try them out for yourself, if at all possible. Each combination has different tonal characteristics, so you need to find out which one nails your tone the best.

10. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Peavey doesn't offer Koa wood on the Cirrus. If it is really dark, it would be either wenge or walnut.

11. How much does the Peavey Cirrus cost?

12. I have a maple/alder 6. I haven't seen a whole lot it wouldn't do. Set flat it's pretty hi-fi but I like it that way.

allan

13. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    oglesby_to,

I'm not sure about the 4-strings, but the 5-strings list from about $1700 to around $2700 (for the Tiger Eye quilt model).

But I've seen them in the stores for under $1000. In fact, the store I purchased my Cirrus from had a Tiger Eye for $899. But... it had been on display for >1 year and had major fret issues. (I thinkt he ebony fingerboard had dried out and had pulled away from the frets.)

hope this helps...
    darrelpr

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

I might be mistaken but I think that the only fretboard options for the Cirrus are pau ferro or maple. I'm mad at all of you guys who have had the opportunity to try the different woods! :) You just don't find that type of Cirrus selection in my area. Since I bought mine the only other variety that I've seen is a redwood/alder but I was in a rush. Time didn't permit me to try it.

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    No, the Tiger Eye model does in fact have an ebony board on it. It also has a matching headstock and the preamp w/sweepable mids from the Millenium bass.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Ooops! My bad then Ryan. I knew about the matching headstock and the eletronics. I still don't understand why they would put what could be considered a better preamp on the Millennium and not on the Cirrus. The Cirrus tone is still MAJOR in my book even without that preamp.

17. Here's a shot of what the Bubinga looks like... (Call it shamless bragging of mine i guess... i just took the shots, and it was on a 5yr old digital camera... so ignore the suckyness. Also it was with REALLY bad light (no flash) )

[​IMG]
    (I dont know why it came out looking darker than it is. But the wood grain looks like this, only slightly lighter)

Also, about the pickup problem... I've never had a problem w/ it before.

18. I got mine used for $800... it was less than a year old, in dead mint condition.

19. DeepBlueBass

DeepBlueBass

Apr 28, 2000
    Dallas TX
    Well here is yet another answer to the ORIGINAL question.
    Try the different woods to see if you like one inparticular. You mentioned that you want to get a 6 string. I can't speak for anyone else (obviously) BUT in my opinion of the three models 4, 5, and 6 the 6 sounds the best. I likes the 4 but the 5 for me was definately not what I liked to hear. The 6 is a dream for me though, I love my maple/alder. I was impressed becasue the purple heart strips both make it look great and they also help add stength to the neck. I also like the Bubinga model, it has a little different feel and tiny differences in normal tone (I checked with same equipment and settings and a seperate (not me) very discriminating ear). Also the neck of the bubinga model was more rounded for the thumb, where as mine is flatter, which I like on mine because it helps me playing slap. Also the bubinga was heavier and I liked the look of the maple and the fact that it was lighter. I never got to try a maple NECK option, but I never have liked that anyways. I have seen and heard of the cirrus Fretless models, but I think they are made by sending to some other company becasue no one I talked to could ORDER a fretless model from Peavey directly. (but they look fun)
    And finally I also have NEVER had a problem from my Cirrus, it is the most trustworthy bass I have ever played, and that second post is the FIRST bad thing I have ever heard (sounds to me like those two break their basses) but I am sure that every company has to sooner or later have a bad egg, but mine is not one of them.

good luck.

20. DeepBlueBass

DeepBlueBass

Apr 28, 2000
    Dallas TX
    I got mine brand new for $1500.00, and even though I probably paid more than most people, it was worth every penny. Plus it plays and sounds better than all the 6 strings I have played (mine did) and for the price I would have been a fool to NOT buy it for under $2000.00. Best thing I ever bought...