Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chace90, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I was noticing all the posts lately about the Peavey Cirrus bass. I was kind of wondering, why do you guys like them so much? I've never played one, but from a bad Peavey amp experience, I haven't been a fan since. They must have really stepped up their products lately.
  2. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Yes, they have really improved some of their products lately.

I am NOT a Peavey fan. I've had some poor experiences with them myself.

BUT.. The Cirrus is one of the finest basses I've ever played. Period. The sound is one of the best I've heard. The playability is awesome. (I didn't like the neck on the four-string, but that's just my personal tastes. I love the five.) It looks beautiful. What more could you ask? The price is seemingly high for a Peavey, but when you compare it to other basses of equal caliber (if you can find any) you'll realize just how much of a bargain it is. This bass could hold it's own against any bass two or three times the price.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, the Cirrus is comparable with anything in it's price range, and beats a lot of them IMHO. The Peavey Millenium series is killer too.
  4. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Hi Chace90,

Check out the link below in which a number of TBers have expressed their opinions on the Cirrus.

I own a Cirrus 5 string w/ Redwood top. Here's an excerpt from a post I made in the above thread on the reasons why I bought mine...

- Frank.
  5. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA

I just purchased a Cirrus 5-string this past weekend. I had been researching and playing various 5-stringers for a couple of months before making my decision. Fortunately, there is a Peavey dealer near my home that stocks several Cirrus models at any given time so I was able to go in and A/B them against other basses.

If you foresee an oncoming GAS attack, you really owe it to yourself to check 'em out. That's not to say that you'll ultimately be sold, but at least you'll have a better idea as to why the Cirrus is getting such high marks.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Right Darrel... ties in with something I was telling people way back when...

You can either try a Cirrus... or kick yourself later;)
  7. DeepBlueBass

Apr 28, 2000
    Dallas TX
    I reciently got a cirrus Six String and I couldn't be happier. It was set up by a guy named Eric Moore who is good buddies with Victor wooten and so it's just like playing his (Eric's) cirrus, which is just like it only with bubinga instead of the maple like I got. It's play better than most more expensive brands that I have played, and it just looks great. Ok, but looks aside, the sound is emence and I can't beat it with a stick. the low B is a force to be reconded with, and the high C just sings, and that's not even mentioning how great the EADG are. The controls are simple and meet all the requirements tha I need at teh present time. A volume, pickup blend, bass, mid, and treble, and that's it. The string spacing was tight at first but i did go from a four (POS) to the six, so I expected an adjustment period, but within a week I was slappin and thumpin on stage like I owned it for years. Cosmeticly I have found a few things that could have been better, but it was stuff that is only visible on the back so I'm not worried at all. It runs off of two 9-volt batteries, which I like, but you do have to unscrew a panel to get to them. All in all for the price I got it at I can't complain at all, I love the big six and it feels like home to me. If anyone wants to combat my opinion with a better bass for the price I dare you.

(p.s. I also think that over all peavey is cheap, since my first bass was a peavey, but I feel that they have made a huge step into a higher end market with the Cirrus series. so it's not like I love everything they make.)
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Do a search. They have been talked about a lot here.

I own one myself (maple/alder Cirrus 5), and love it. Give one a try-it will be well worth your time, I promise you.;)