Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b0nes83, Jun 11, 2002.

1. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    Does anyone here have the Peavey Cirrus. If so what type of wood and your pros and cons of the bass. thanks
    Chad

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Bubinga/Walnut here.

Pros:
    * Extremely playable. Although its scale length (35") might be longer than I'd preferred, it still plays like butter.
    * Sounds nice. A tight and modern sound with deep lows, chrisp highs and very prominent mids. Superb slap tone (too bad I don't slap much nowadays).

Cons:
    * I'm not 100% comfortable with the frequencies the onboard preamp controls are set at. The treble control is too bright to cut through when used live with a band, IME (great for that Fieldy-vibe, though ;)). The bass is set a little low and while the mids work great boosted when soloing to cut through even more, I think it would benefit from having a frequency sweep.
    * Battery compartment makes for a tight fit... the Peavey batteries that came with the bass fit without a problem, but they seem to be smaller than standard Duracells. Nothing that a little violence won't solve. :)
    * You will struggle trying to get old-school tones from it. But there are other basses for that task ;)

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I (until very recently) owned two of them, fretted and fretless. I've been playing for 17 years and have owned a lot of "top end" instruments including Roscoes and Warwicks. IMHO the Cirrus were better built and better playing than anything I ever tried. Super sounding, fantastic build quality.
    I just sold my 6 string fretted flamed maple/alder which had a powerful punchy sound. Very bright, very articulate.
    I still have a fretless 6 for sale which is Claro walnut over a walnut body with a five piece walnut/maple neck. Very rich and warm fretless sound. I loved those instruments but unfortunately due to work and family schedules I can't play much anymore so I'm selling them.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Cirrus 6 string and it is a great bass. Most playable 6 I have ever played, other than a Zon 6.

Mine is the tigereye quilt top, which has a sweepable mid, giving the bass even more flexibility.

I play metal, praise & worship and oldies on the bass, it works well for every style of music that I play.

Mine is maple/alder, which gives it a little more traditional tone than some of the other wood combinations. But it also has an ebony fingerboard, which gives me extra snap on the highs. This thing has the best slap tone of any bass that I have ever played. Also has a killer B string.

5. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i had a cirrus 5, wenge and walnut. i loved it. i was looking for something a little more high end when i bought it. i later traded it toward a thumb 5 neck through. it was amazing for the price. i didn't like the 35" scale and the pickup output was a little weak. the playability and feel are great.

6. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    It was one of the few basses I played where I felt there was minimal need to tweak it. I felt very at home on it evern though I am used to 34" necks.

This one was a bubinga top, neck thru, 5 string.

-pd

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Great bass. I recommend it.. i don't own one but thats neither here nor there. It is a very modern sounding bass... but thats ok with me. i say pick one up if you can

8. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    And that endorsement comes from a "diehard" Zon fanatic (Hey Peter, how ya doin?) :D ;) !

I have a Redwood/Alder 5 String. I posted a list of reasons that I bought it back in January in the "Carvin vs. Peavey" thread, but here is an exerpt from that...

- The "B" is tight, well defined, and most important to me, sounds and feels even with the rest of the strings. I've tried so many fives where the B feels out of place with respect to the other strings.

- The way it balances on my body. It's lightweight, yet no neck dive. I noticed that the body hangs a little to the right, which makes it just as easy, if not easier for me to play down around the first fret as if I were playing a 34" scale bass.

- The fingerboard is pretty flat, and the neck is thin (thin as in flat, not pencil thin like the Ibanez "SR" necks), and the action is insanely low. Add to that the satin finish on the neck, all of which makes for effortless left hand movement.

- The string spacing. Don't know what the specs are off the cuff, but again... it just "feels" right to me. Running scales and going from string to string is a breeze. (EDIT: Because of the narrower string spacing, it's a bit harder for me to slap/pop than my 4 string... I guess that can be considered a "Con", but I think that's also part of the reason the neck is so "fast")

- It sounds "sweet". No noise, hiss, nothing. I can set my amp flat, leave to EQ on the bass flat, and it sounds great. The frequencies of the bass and treble seem set perfect to my tastes. I never really boost the mid, but I'll cut it just a hair, boost the bass a few notches and raise the treble a tiny bit, and WOW!

- ooooh, that quilted Redwood top It's the nicest piece of furniture in my home

So, can you tell that I like it?

- Frank.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have a Cirrus 5 in maple/alder. It has been my main bass for the past two years, up until a few months ago when I got my Modulus.

Very nice basses. I think everyone here has pretty much summed up their strong points quite well, so I won't go into details.;)

10. Dittp. ditto, ditto. It's the nicest bass I've ever played, at any price, and i've played some that list for over 5 Gs. To get my Cirrus from me, they'll have to rip it from my cold, dead, hands, and overcome the rigor mortis grip I'll have on it!

11. I have the maple, alder, 4 string and love it. For the money I didn't think it could be beat. It gets a wide variety of tones, for playing in different styles. The action is set low which I like for tapping , but with enough clearance at the base of the neck for slapping and popping , and the neck is thin with a shallow radius. I think the bass is killer, for what I do...mainly recording. I like it so much that somewhere down the road I'll go for the 5 string. And if you look on e-bay you can usually find great deals on these basses. This bass is very under rated except in places like these with people who've played them and know what they are talking about. Good Luck:D

12. bassin4him

bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey Oysterman, ldiezman,

Can you describe what you mean by the "modern" tone of the Cirrus?

I'm probably going to buy a Cirrus 5, and although I've played one at the dealers, it's hard to tell much about the tone 'till you're in an ensemble situation. Does modern mean a focused tone, with clarity?

Don

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    maple/alder 6 here

awesome bass - versatile sound - warm tone - superb action - good string to string balance - quiet - wonderful neck - nice hardware

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, and it has that "zing" in the treble that e.g. Fenders can't put out without massive EQ'ing in the 6-7 kHz region. And it lacks the round "warmth" (= slightly distorted low-end) of the typical vintage Fender sound, but I bet you could get some of it there with a tube amp.

15. ScJaxx

ScJaxx Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    VA
    just got my walnut/maple 6 string a few weeks ago. and i am very impressed. the tone is a little MID Range, but i still love it. and the EQ is "noiseless" hehe.

16. The choice of woods probably makes a big difference. I find that my tone is too warm if I play through a really warm-sounding amp, like an Eden or all-tube Ampeg. I have the Redwood/whatever Cirrus 5, and get plenty of everything; warmth, lows, mids, and sparkly, crystalline highs.

I think I'll go kiss my bass now.....:p

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No, man, no-one here owns a Cirrus. :) No Peavey bass fans here... :)

18. bassin4him

bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Considering the Cirrus is a lamanate of woods, would you please elaborate on what combination of woods yield what kinds of tones, and your experience with these wood combos (related to the tone, or otherwise) used with the Cirrus?

Don C.

19. Mine is a 4 string Bubinga / Walnut, I have had it for 10 months now and have not seen any other bass to compare in it's price range. I just put a set of Nickel Blue Steel strings on and they sound better than the stock Peavey strings (which are also great, but hard to find). I have replaced the batteries after I bought it home and have yet to replace them after 10 months of playing. I will be looking foreward to adding a Cirrus frettless soon.

20. uh, I don't know, but I'm sure there's some on this board that do know. The Peavey website used to have a breakdown on what you're inquiring about, at length. But a lot of this is subjective; i.e. what's "warm" to one is mud to another.

I had a maple/alder 4-string before I sold it to get my redwood/whatever 5-string, and it sounded a little brighter and less warm, but still awesome.