Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Moma Jones, Aug 17, 2003.

1. I`m from Canada and we dont get a lot of high end stuff up here. So I bought a cirrus and am in love with it.
    But now I want a four but really high quality ($2500 US)
    Should I stick with the cirrus line and save some money or venture into uncharted waters.
    How does it hold up against a warwick MTD ect.
    Any other cirrus users out there.
    ive tried to find other threads but they all refer to cirrus as "good for a peavey" but never stack it up against a warwick
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I dunno man.... the Cirrus has been compared favorably to basses in the price range ($2500). It's really all up to you. You said it yourself, you're in love with it. Why bother dumping her if you're in love? :D

EDIT: I'm a Cirrus user and I'm in love with it too. The Cirrus line really is something special.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would take my Cirrus over any Warwick except for a Streamer Stage I, II or LX.

But that is because of my preference for the Cirrus' tone, and my dislike for the tone of most Warwicks.

Warwicks are fine basses, but other than the Streamer Stage series and the handmade Warwikcs from before ~1995 they are not appreciably superior to a Cirrus, IMHO.

At the $2500 price point, you have a lot of choices.

For me, the only way to get a bass better than my Cirrus is to spend more than $3000 US.
  4. I would check out a Dingwall Afterburner as well. You can get one for under $2000CDN, probably a few hundred under. They are great basses.

5. Sorry I need to clarify
    I have NO intention of "dumping" my cirrus
    Like I said Im in love with it.
    I had a CHEAP four string (A "PRO SOUND" by R.H. research co.)
    I found a cirrus 5 with a maple top/alder body
    But I need a four to do some better slap work
    There is a company called godin with are made in montreal that also sound good..... But I want my last four string
    What about a music man sting ray
    and to anybody with a cirrus please post anything you think about the bass
  6. embellisher

If you want to buy another bass, go ahead. I don't have a problem with that. I have 9 myself!:D

As far as slapping, why not slap your Cirrus 5? I do better slap on my Cirrus 6 than on any of my other basses. It is the most slappable bass I have ever played!:)
  7. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I've been extremely impressed with the sounds from the Cirrus. With the right woods that is, there have been some combinations that I didn't care for.

The feel and playability is fabulous on the Cirrus 5 and 6. I thought the 4-string neck felt a little small and fragile. But that may have been because I had just been playing a five right before that. When going from five to four, the four usually feels a bit dinky for a while.
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've never tried an Afterburner but one is on the way to GuitarX so I should get a chance soon. If it's at all similar to that Prima that he has in stock right now, it's got to be killer. :)

Now for the Cirrus. I've only been able to try several of the redwood/alder and the bubinga/walnut combinations. The feel was very consistent but I wound up going for the latter. mgood raises a good point. The tone of the redwood just didn't do it for me. You may have a different reaction.

I find it very easy to get great tone without doing a lot of tweaking. Although the preamp is flexible enough to get other useable tones if necessary. It does have a great slap tone as Jeff mentioned. The playability is excellent and I think that the wood grains of mine look wonderful.

To me the only thing that the Cirrus suffers from is that good for a Peavey attitude. They get no respect from a large portion of the bass community simply because of the name on the headstock. It is funny to see the response after a person has been exposed to one. That look of disbelief cracks me up! :D ;)
  9. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Learn to slap on the 5, then you don't have to go buying something else. The cirrus is a great piece of instrument, so if you love it, learn to use it better, and you'll love it even more.
  10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I use, and am in love with my Cirrus 6, but I can't agree with embellisher here.

I got a Cirrus 4 because of tunes that require very involved slap work. The Cirrus 6 only has 17mm string spacing ("on average" since the bridge is somewhat adjustable) which is a little narrow for the more intricate stuff (I hear embellisher can do it cuz' he has little, thin, "girleh mahn" fingers ;) ).

The reason I didn't go with a Cirrus 5 for slap work is because it's the same spacing as the Cirrus 6.
  11. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Agreed. The afterburner is a sweet deal. A bit of a wait for build time usually though. Fury designed and wound pickups are a plus as well. Does your dingwall have the barts or the fury's geoff?
  12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i played a cirrus and i was blown away they are awsome!!!!! but i stil like my mtd 535 better.
    try and go for a used 4 string mtd...or like mentioned before an f-bass. i have never tried one myself but i have only heard praise.

13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Me, pass up any chance to publicly affirm my affection for my Cirrus 4? No way!

So anyway, me likey my bass!

14. embellisher

Actually, I have short, fat fingers.:) So short and fat that my brother gave up teaching me guitar back in the late 70's because 'Your fingers are so short and fat you will never be able to play anything.' Now he only wishes he could play guitar as well as I play bass!:D

I don't know what it is with the Cirrus. I normally prefer 3/4"(19mm) spacing at the bridge for slap. But for some reason, I slap better on my Cirrus 6 than I do on my Fender Jazz or my old 19mm Pedulla Rapture 5.
  15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I have always been a Peavey basher but I have to admit the Cirrus is a good bass. I played thru one at a local store and it was nice. If I had $2500 I would check out the Benevante, F-bass, or a used Sadowsky.
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I agree with Jeff. I recently traded my Cirrus 5 for Warwick Streamer LX 5. All in all, I think Cirrus' are great basses, but the Warwick just seemed to do everthing better for me. YMMV, of course.

EDIT: I meant to say a Streamer LX Jazzman 5.
  17. embellisher

Ryan, good to see you around.:) Hope you are doing well.
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, it's good to see a lot of familiar faces still around here. Gonna try to start hanging out here more again.:)
  19. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i just bought my cirrus 5 last thursday, and i haven't been able to put it down. this is the first nice bass i have ever owned. i traded in an ibanez soundgear 405, and i could not believe the difference. i was originally looking for a 4 string, but this one felt so much better than all of the four strings that were offered. everything about this bass does it for me... the shape of the pickups, the neck, and the sound. I LOVE IT!!!